Question RE Compact Flash and Microdrives

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 17, 2004 6:29:54 PM

I'm sure this has been asked before and I apologize for the redundancy.

Can some one point me to a site that explains the advantages of CF cards
over Microdrives and/or a comparison of different CF cards in general.

In particular I'm wondering if a Microdrive is a good choice for my Digital
Rebel but I'd also like to learn the differences in the media.

TIA

--

Rob
Anonymous

"Robert R Kircher, Jr."
> I'm sure this has been asked before and I apologize for the redundancy.
>
> Can some one point me to a site that explains the advantages of CF cards
> over Microdrives and/or a comparison of different CF cards in general.
>
> In particular I'm wondering if a Microdrive is a good choice for my Digital
> Rebel but I'd also like to learn the differences in the media.

The price on CF cards has come down so much why risk
a microdrive with moving parts? I think DP Review has
CF comparisons.
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 6:29:55 PM

"Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> writes:
> I'm sure this has been asked before and I apologize for the redundancy.
>
> Can some one point me to a site that explains the advantages of CF cards
> over Microdrives and/or a comparison of different CF cards in general.
>
> In particular I'm wondering if a Microdrive is a good choice for my Digital
> Rebel but I'd also like to learn the differences in the media.

Microdrives simply hold more than is possible with flash at a given
density. Their downsides are cost, moving parts and power consumption.

Personally, I use a 1G flash card on my Rebel. If I need more than
that'll hold, I bring my laptop and a CF reader.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

"Fletis Humplebacker" <!> wrote:

> "Robert R Kircher, Jr."
>> I'm sure this has been asked before and I apologize for the redundancy.
>>
>> Can some one point me to a site that explains the advantages of CF cards
>> over Microdrives and/or a comparison of different CF cards in general.
>>
>> In particular I'm wondering if a Microdrive is a good choice for my Digital
>> Rebel but I'd also like to learn the differences in the media.
>
> The price on CF cards has come down so much why risk
> a microdrive with moving parts? I think DP Review has
> CF comparisons.

Yes, for 1-2 Gig cards, CF is very similar price wise.. In this case, it makes
sense to go the CF route. But if you're looking for cards of over 4 Gigabytes,
Microdrives are still significantly cheaper.
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 6:32:52 PM

"Jim Townsend"
> "Fletis Humplebacker" <!> wrote:
>

> > "Robert R Kircher, Jr."
> >> I'm sure this has been asked before and I apologize for the redundancy.
> >>
> >> Can some one point me to a site that explains the advantages of CF cards
> >> over Microdrives and/or a comparison of different CF cards in general.
> >>
> >> In particular I'm wondering if a Microdrive is a good choice for my Digital
> >> Rebel but I'd also like to learn the differences in the media.
> >
> > The price on CF cards has come down so much why risk
> > a microdrive with moving parts? I think DP Review has
> > CF comparisons.
>
> Yes, for 1-2 Gig cards, CF is very similar price wise.. In this case, it makes
> sense to go the CF route. But if you're looking for cards of over 4 Gigabytes,
> Microdrives are still significantly cheaper.

I just can't see the wisdom in putting that much data
on something that small with moving parts. I would
carry extra flash cards.
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 3:47:01 AM

There really are no advantages when comparing the microdrives to solid state
memory. There are a few minor disadvantages for the microdrive like the take
a little more power, they are slower writing and because they having moving
parts they could end up breaking before a solid state memory card.

Myself I would choose whichever I could get the best deal on. If you do a
lot of sports or fast moving object shooting and shot in rapid fire mode
then a solid state card is a must for the writing speed. Otherwise I haven't
found the other disadvantages to be much of a problem. Power consumption
isn't as I always care several extra fully charged batteries. As for the
drive going out, well everything breaks with the speed at which cameras are
increasing in resolution the chances are the drive will be too small to be
of much use long before it actually croaks.

For me it comes down to price. Which ever is cheaper. If they are both the
same then I always go for solid state. But I have 5 2GB microdrives that I
use with my 20D and don't regret buying them.

John
!