Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

SSD Windows installation

Last response: in Storage
Share
August 23, 2012 11:14:50 AM

Hello,

I was doing some research about installing windows on a new ssd, and was wondering if besides changing the SATA mode from IDE to AHCI, and disconnecting the other drives, is there anything else i should do?

I was wondering before and during installation.
I've never installed windows on a brand new SSD(ive re-installed windows on HDD but not with a brand new one with no OS).

Any tips? Don't want to screw up :( 

Thank you!!

Edit: its a ASUS P8Z77-M board, with OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD
a c 88 G Storage
August 23, 2012 11:26:11 AM

Step 1: Update your motherboard to the latest firmware. Asus currently uses some hybrid BIOS/EFI firmware.

Step 2: Update your SSD to the latest firmware. Most vendors distribute Linux based updaters which can be used from most Linux live CDs. If you can connect the SSD to another PC you can update it from within Windows. I advise against updating it after Windows has been installed.

Step 3: Ensure that the SSD is connected to an Intel AHCI port and not to an add-in controller. Many add-in controllers support only platter drives and will not work properly with SSDs or optical drives.

Step 4: Ensure that the Intel controller is on either AHCI mode or RAID mode. RAID mode on the Intel controller also enables AHCI.

Step 5: Ensure that the optical disk is connected to the Intel controller. See step 3

Step 6: Install windows

Step 7: Install the Intel RST drivers for full AHCI functionality. Do not use the default Windows AHCI drivers
August 23, 2012 11:41:32 AM

Pinhedd said:
Step 1: Update your motherboard to the latest firmware. Asus currently uses some hybrid BIOS/EFI firmware.

Step 2: Update your SSD to the latest firmware. Most vendors distribute Linux based updaters which can be used from most Linux live CDs. If you can connect the SSD to another PC you can update it from within Windows. I advise against updating it after Windows has been installed.

Step 3: Ensure that the SSD is connected to an Intel AHCI port and not to an add-in controller. Many add-in controllers support only platter drives and will not work properly with SSDs or optical drives.

Step 4: Ensure that the Intel controller is on either AHCI mode or RAID mode. RAID mode on the Intel controller also enables AHCI.

Step 5: Ensure that the optical disk is connected to the Intel controller. See step 3

Step 6: Install windows

Step 7: Install the Intel RST drivers for full AHCI functionality. Do not use the default Windows AHCI drivers


Hey,


2. My only other PC is a 5 year old Dell, to update the firmware of the SSD i should just connect the SSD to any of the SATA(not sure which SATA it has) port in my old PC and update it from there right?

Thanks for your detailed post!
Related resources
a c 88 G Storage
August 23, 2012 11:52:45 AM

tupapi said:
Hey,


2. My only other PC is a 5 year old Dell, to update the firmware of the SSD i should just connect the SSD to any of the SATA(not sure which SATA it has) port in my old PC and update it from there right?

Thanks for your detailed post!


The box or device label may tell you what firmware it had on it when it was packaged. If this corresponds to the latest one on the manufacturer's website then there's nothing that you need to do. I just remember reading about a couple recent updates to the Vertex 4 to address write speed issues.

The PC that you test it with will have to support AHCI. A 5 year old Dell may not.
August 23, 2012 12:24:40 PM

Pinhedd said:
The box or device label may tell you what firmware it had on it when it was packaged. If this corresponds to the latest one on the manufacturer's website then there's nothing that you need to do. I just remember reading about a couple recent updates to the Vertex 4 to address write speed issues.

The PC that you test it with will have to support AHCI. A 5 year old Dell may not.


Lets say the SSD doesnt come with the latest software and i do need to update it, if i cant use my Dell because i doubt it supports AHCI, then how can i update it?


Thanks
a c 88 G Storage
August 23, 2012 12:26:25 PM

tupapi said:
Lets say the SSD doesnt come with the latest software and i do need to update it, if i cant use my Dell, then how can i update it?


Thanks


OCZ makes available a bootable Linux based updater, you can get it here

http://www.ocztechnology.com/ssd_tools/OCZ_Vertex_4_and...

Here's a guide

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?...!-Bootable-tools-for-OCZ-SSD-s

It's in the form of an ISO so just burn it to a CD or make a bootable USB drive.
August 23, 2012 12:29:45 PM

Great!

Thanks a lot for your help! Appreciate it
a c 88 G Storage
August 23, 2012 12:35:35 PM

you're welcome. Good luck!
August 23, 2012 12:49:27 PM

Pinhedd said:

Step 7: Install the Intel RST drivers for full AHCI functionality. Do not use the default Windows AHCI drivers


any particular reason why the Windows AHCI drivers arent good ? i have read all sorts of opinion/feedback regarding this : Intel drivers are faster/slower than windows but are less/more stable.
I cant find any reliable info/benchmark on this.
a c 88 G Storage
August 23, 2012 1:04:37 PM

mayankleoboy1 said:
any particular reason why the Windows AHCI drivers arent good ? i have read all sorts of opinion/feedback regarding this : Intel drivers are faster/slower than windows but are less/more stable.
I cant find any reliable info/benchmark on this.


The MS AHCI driver was written by Intel and included with Windows for compatibility purposes. I'm not sure if the same driver is used for AMD chipsets (I don't believe that it is). Since they're so old (pulled over from Vista SP1 I believe) they don't fully support new features such as TRIM and may have issues reading individual disk data when the disks are part of a RAID. The Intel drivers are able to detect when a drive has power even if the data cable is not connected (needs to be supported by the PSU). Since the RST chip is a software RAID there's also performance and reliability implications. The Intel service console is also pretty good.

Some people have also reported sleep and hibernation issues with the native drivers
!