Graphics card heating up Cpu

CodyMcInnes

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
I noticed that my processor is running alot hotter than it usually did on my full atx board now that I have a micro-atx the graphics card is closer to my cpu so its running hotter Im using the stock cooler that came with it on idle it runs around 42c and full load can get to 63c I dont think this is very good for it, please I need a some sort of fix, I doubt a new cpu cooler would help but any advice is greatly appreciated thanks.

System:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz
Nvidia 9800GX2 (fixed)
4gb's ram dual channel
Intel DG43GT M-ATX MotherBoard
Corsair 750W PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Cooler Master Centurion 5 Case

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Better case fans? Better CPU Heatsink?

Considering the exhaust for the graphics card goes out the rear of the case, I don't think that's your problem. Being more cramped together and having less space for air to circulate would be the issue.

CodyMcInnes

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
I have a 120mm in the back but I doubt it does much. Also I have 2 80mm fans on the side bringing cool air into the case, the 80mm on the top sits beside the cpu. I dont understand whats causing it.

Fetal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
^ dude 42c idle is not good.

You need to first of all apply good thermal grease, like as5, mx-3.

Your full load temps are decent no doubt, but 42c idle are crap, may be fine if on extremely stock air setup with crap thermal grease.

I know but it depends on the room temperature too, because i remember my Q6600(at stock) idled at 40(i had a TT Armor full tower case), and that was because of high room temperature(like 35c).I had to use an after market cooler to lower the temps.

randomizer

Champion

Why is it not good? What does it matter what the idle temp is as long as the load temp is normal? We can't even be sure that the idle temps are accurate (or the load temps for that matter, but idle are more prone to inaccuracy). Let's not forget that at lower temperatures the fans spin slower, which reduces the cooling capabilities of the heatsink.

I know the feeling. I've had my room temp at 32C before :( There's only so much you can do to reduce temperatures when your room is that hot. After all, it's impossible for an air cooler to get the temp below ambient.

Fetal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
^ Because your damn computer is on idle most of the time, if on idle its nearly 5 degrees hotter than normal, how would it fare under oc'd conditions? let alone cutting the life down. and going till 63 isn't good too.

sorry to say but my room temp is between 25-27. and my idle on stock is in 30's. go figure.

randomizer

Champion
42C isn't going to cut down the life by any appreciable amount. Sure, if you're running upwards of 90C 24/7 then you might want to consider if you can afford a new chip in a year or two, but 42C is so far inside the safe temperature range that it would make no difference if it was only 20C. Plus, as I said, you can't guarantee the temperatures are accurate. They could be +/- 5-10C at worst, especially on a 45nm Core 2 chip.

Fetal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
5 to 10, lol ok i didn't saw that coming. why is it things go not in our favor? why is it + we see, not - ? he dint even oc'd it my fellow brAther, so it makes sense that it should be in low 30's if ambient is in 20's. why didn't anyone ever said, hey my idle is 22 or 27 on stock? why low 40's on a non oc'd setup? sure it doesn't hurt, for you, maybe, but he wont complain if it didn't mattered. he can continue running it like this, no harm done in short term, right? but i stick to my point. low 30's...

...and show me proof of these chips being 'flawed' and giving such obscene readings varying between +/- 5-10C :S

randomizer

Champion
Are you running the same CPU family and heatsink? If not, your temperatures are incomparable. His fan speed may be very slow at that temperature, which means the heatsink sacrifices cooling performance for quietness.

+/- 10C would be almost worst case scenario. You're normally looking at up to +/- 3-5C. This can vary between processors and between cores. There's a number of reasons why the temperature can be off by large margins:

1. The Digital Thermal Sensors do not output temperatures, they output value that is relative to a maximum temperature (ie. a delta). The problem? We can't be certain what the temperature is that the reported value is relative to. Does Intel care? Of course not, they never designed the DTS for the purpose of monitoring temperatures.

2. Slope error. Temperatures are inherently less accurate the cooler the CPU is. Some don't deteriorate that badly, others are downright shocking.

3. "Stuck" sensors. Every sensor has a minimum value that it will report. Typically this is below the normal ranges you'll encounter, but some bottom out at higher temperatures and therefore the cores appear to be running abnormally hot.

Fetal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
^ now changing your statements isn't good. if first hand you said 3-5, then one can say that's ok. 5-10 is um a little bit too much eh. All Intel e8400's come with same stock HSF. Its not that Intel have a grudge on him.

Yes, if he has opted for silent operation, then his temps are fine. Otherwise this shouldn't be the case.

btw nice and fast research. processors based on your brain would be so much better and efficient :p

randomizer

Champion

I didn't change anything, I simply added to what I said. I stand by my original statement. Note that I said +/- 5-10C at worst. Technically it could be worse still but that would be in a handful of outlier situations.

I didn't do "fast research," I pulled all that from memory. I've read and written guides on the topic of Core 2 temperatures since 2008. While I'm by no means an authority on the subject, I do have a clue about what I'm saying ;)

To get back to the original topic: Simply reseating the heatsink may bring your temps down. A poorly mounted heatsink is the primary culprit causing high(er) temps.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
My C2D idles between 32* and 37* in the summer, but it's also 35*-40+* outside, and my room doesn't have AC. It's been running for 3 years just fine. Even overclocked the load temps were within the acceptable limit by a VERY large margin.

Your piss poor attitude won't gain you any respect or reputability around here either.

CodyMcInnes

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Thanks everyone, Im still getting in those high temps but I added a cpu funnel to my case that goes from my 80mm fan to my cpu fan (not actually touching) and thats lowerd it by abit. 37idle (not completley accurate as it does jump around into the 40's) and about 55c + on load. I am running a M-ATX board so this could be some of the problem but there isnt much I can do about that.