Sign in with
Your question

Some small advice

Last response: in Systems
June 28, 2010 2:04:52 AM

Hey everyone, bit nervous posting here but i'll give it a shot.

Bottom line is i've decided to build a new gaming rig for myself and have decided on most parts but i'm having considerable trouble with a couple. Here's what i've got so far.

Intel Core i7 940 Desktop Processor (purchased)
Intel Desktop Board DX58SO - Extreme Series (purchased)
Intel X25-M 80GB SATA Solid-State Drive (purchased)
Seagate 400GB SATA 7200RPM HDD (purchased)
CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (8-8-8-24)
EVGA GeForce GTX 470
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
LG SATA 24x DVD +/- RW Dual Layer

*going to run Windows 7 Professional 64bit

Now you'll notice that two of the most important parts are missing, both a PSU as well as a case.
My initial thoughts were:

Antec Three Hundred
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V

However i do plan on overclocking as well a purchasing a better video card in the upcoming years.
I just want to make sure that a) i've got sufficient power for everything now and in the future (with my overclock) and b) that i don't have to upgrade these part if i do decide to swap out my video card or processor in the future.

Can anyone tell me if i'm in a good position with what i currently have? Also if overclocking will i need to purchase a new heatsink and fan for my cpu or will the stock be fine up to a certain clock?

Please be gentle with me. It's been years since i built my last computer. Things move too fast.
Cheers.

:) 

More about : small advice

June 28, 2010 2:20:31 AM

The 750TX is plenty for a 470 plus OCing the i7-940, but its tough to answer the upgrade question without knowing more about what your plans for the future are. At any rate, Corsair 750TX is a great PSU.

As for the HSF, I don't have any direct experience with the i7-940, but based on my experiences with the the 920 & 930, yes you're absolutely going to need an aftermarket HSF. The 920/930 HSF is barely adequate at stock.
June 28, 2010 2:35:42 AM

future plans don't include anything extravagant. I'm not going to go the SLI route, mainly just going to upgrade in 2 years time perhaps to a better card. Maybe a 500 series nvidia card or whatever is out at the time.

Also would you happen to recommend any good after market coolers? I'm using a Zalman on my current machine and have never had a problem with it. But of course i'm not overclocking right now.
June 28, 2010 2:46:32 AM

If you're looking for a stock HSF replacement or a HSF for a mild OC, I like the Scythe Mugen Rev B, which is $35ish. If you're considering a 24/7 OC 4.0GHz+, then I would definitely advise paying the money for a Noctua NH-D14, Prolimatech Megahalems, or similar.

As for for the PSU, if by upgrade you mean step up to 1 new card, then the 750TX should be fine. It gets a little dicier if SLI is a possibility.
!