Sign in with
Your question
Closed

ATI Radeon HD 5450 vs NVIDIA GeForce GT 220

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 20, 2010 7:46:19 AM

NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 or the ATI Radeon HD 5450...which one would you buy for a desktop with 8mb ram 1tb hdd, wireless lan, 23 or 25 in monitor...i'm not a gamer but use my pc for business, spreadsheets, photos, a little video and a very small amount of gaming (< 2% of time)
a c 189 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
May 20, 2010 8:16:49 AM

choose the cheapest one, you will be fine with both of cards since you aren't gamer... :) 
Score
a b U Graphics card
May 20, 2010 6:44:27 PM

The Gt 220 is significantly better for gaming than the HD 5450, though the HD 5450 has the capability of outputing to three separate monitors. The Gt 220 also tends to be a little more expensive than the HD 5450.

It really depends on how much you want to spend and what you need it for.
Score
Related resources
June 6, 2010 1:15:52 PM

Do NOT buy the HD 5450!

I bought one about a week ago for my Dell Optiplex 360 Desktop. I dual boot XP Professional and Windows 7 Pro x86. After i installed it and have spent MUCH time trying to get things to work, I've found

XP
At first I thought there was a problem with System Sounds but after much testing i found i wasn't hearing the first second or so of sound when played over the HDMI port on the ATI card. (System sounds tend to be beeps and alerts, i.e. they're "short" sounds timewise) When i selected audio playback to my onboard audio Soundmax, everything played OK

Win 7
There's drivers on the CD plus newer version on the website.
1. The CD drivers installed and had the same problem with loss of sound as XP
2. When i tried installing the newer drivers on the website, Win 7 crashed
3. I did a clean Win 7 install plus installed a BIOS update from Dell i saw they had released earlier this year. Now i can't install ANY driver. Win 7 crashes installing both the CD based drivers and the newer driver on the website!
Stay away is my advice! :non: 
Score
March 21, 2011 7:07:49 PM

LookinAround said:
Do NOT buy the HD 5450!

I bought one about a week ago for my Dell Optiplex 360 Desktop. I dual boot XP Professional and Windows 7 Pro x86. After i installed it and have spent MUCH time trying to get things to work, I've found

XP
At first I thought there was a problem with System Sounds but after much testing i found i wasn't hearing the first second or so of sound when played over the HDMI port on the ATI card. (System sounds tend to be beeps and alerts, i.e. they're "short" sounds timewise) When i selected audio playback to my onboard audio Soundmax, everything played OK

Win 7
There's drivers on the CD plus newer version on the website.
1. The CD drivers installed and had the same problem with loss of sound as XP
2. When i tried installing the newer drivers on the website, Win 7 crashed
3. I did a clean Win 7 install plus installed a BIOS update from Dell i saw they had released earlier this year. Now i can't install ANY driver. Win 7 crashes installing both the CD based drivers and the newer driver on the website!
Stay away is my advice! :non: 

Did you ever figure this out, I'm having the same problem, i've tried almost everything!!
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
a c 171 Î Nvidia
March 21, 2011 8:59:25 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!