Battery life with Samsung 830 on macbook pro

flyordie

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
Problem:
" i'm having some issues with this drive. I'm getting 2.3 hours MAX of battery usage. I normally get about 5.5 hours per charge on my macbook pro 13" with the old hard drive. I charged the battery and checked on 3 different occasions, and the results were the same. Just to make sure I was not going crazy, I put in the old hard drive, and my battery life was back up in the 5 hour range.

I did a clean install on Mac Lion, and everything was set to save the most battery life, and still, I would only get 2.3-2.5 hours of battery life. "

Any advice? I think its Apple's problem, if the ssd would be bad than would not work at all ; maybe something with trim settings?

Solution
I would guess that the MBP is not performing power management in the same fashion as with the HDD. Have you researched this problem on any of the Apple Forums?

You won't get a great deal of useful input on Apple related issues on this site. You are likely, however, to get a lot of "haters" bashing your choice to use Apple products.

Good luck!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I would guess that the MBP is not performing power management in the same fashion as with the HDD. Have you researched this problem on any of the Apple Forums?

You won't get a great deal of useful input on Apple related issues on this site. You are likely, however, to get a lot of "haters" bashing your choice to use Apple products.

Good luck!

Solution

flyordie

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

HaHa! I hate Apple too :) It's not my hardware , just need to help someone out, thanks for reply , i'm out of here :)

The Samsng 830 has a high Power consumption durning read/write cycles and is probably higher than some laptop HDD.

For mac laptop, not sure if TRIM is a active cmd, But then trim only improves CG (Garbqage collection). My quess is that when Idle the 830 is performing both Garbage collection AND implimenting wear leveling. This means that when you think the drive is IDLE it is accually doing a number of writes.

Just for future reference, and others readiing this:
I'm a Intel laptop person, but from what I've read over at Anandtech on reviews beteen the Curcial M4 (also includes Plextors M3) vs the Samsung 830, the m4 is preferred. The m4 has slightly higher idle current, But the m4 is a full watt lower for reads & writes.
There is very little performance differnce in reall life between the 3 drive, so the concenses seems to be Samsung 830 for Desktop use, the m4 (or Plextor m3) for laptops.

phillyry

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

The drive may still be indexing. You can check this by cursoring over (or perhaps clicking) the spotlight in the top right of your display, at the right end of the menu bar.

In order to enable TRIM you will need to download TRIMenabler or manually enter the scripts.

You may also need to reset your power management. Search the Apple website for SMC reset.

Good luck,

phillyry.

robertjowen2

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
you can also go to "Applications" then to "Utilities" then "Activity Monitor". There you can check the hdd activity, usage, etc. I think you might want to start there, should be able to find out why it's draining the battery so quickly. Won't fix the problem but should help diagnose just what the problem is. Be sure to use "Disc Utility" as well. Hope you find the solution, please post it if you do. Good luck!