Mobo for an i5 & gtx 460?

cdem

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
I'll either be buying the i5 2300 or the i5 2500. I'll likely have a GTX 460 1gb GPU with that and 4gb ram which I haven't yet decided upon. Now I need a mobo and it's all a confusion of numbers and gibberish. I don't want to overclock and £150 ($240) is my max but I would love to avoid going to that price.

I'm still going through an article review here but would appreciate some personal input.

Thanks.

Jon82387

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Hey there, i just recently upgraded my pc and purchased the MSI P67A-GD55 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130573 8gig of G.Skill Ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428
a core I5-2500K along with the coolermaster 212+ cooler.

I will say that the performance so far is amazing and im also using a 460GTX 1GIG GPU like your planning on my old CPU (o/cd pentium D 805 3.2Ghz) was bogging things way down in games with this new setup its awesome right now the main thing ive been playing is WoW and it has no problem playing ultra with 1900x1100 everything set to max.

If i had to recomend an MSI mobo i'm not sure that i would though..... i had a hell of a time getting this pc to boot with the 8gigs of memory. It would boot fine with 1x 4gig stick (just like MSI says to do....) but once i set things up like they say and turn it off stick the other stick in it would never boot.... (would do the restarting loop that tons of ppl are having problems with)

Also it's not the memory it will boot fine with either stick installed as long as its only 1 stick.....

I did manage to get it to boot by just moving the sticks around and messing with the bios settings but its still not how i would like it i cant seem to get it to boot running dual channel right now the memory is in seperate slots not running in a dual channel setup but i got it to boot so i haven't messed with it and don't really plan to unless some sort of bios update comes out or something.

Any ways just figured i would share my input with the MSI board if i was to do it over again i don't think i would purchase another one probably go with and Asus as they seem to be getting good reviews.

Good Luck
Jon

cdem

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
thanks for that response Jon, yeh i think it might be best just to spend the extra and get an asus board, save myself any future headaches :/