Not enough power from Antec True Power 380 watt?

JayOui

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
I'm building an HTPC out of my old Antec Sonata II case that has a True Power 380 watt power supply.

I currently have the following in the system.

AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor
ASUS M4A785-M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G
4GB (2 sticks) OCZ DDR2 PC6400 RAM
ASUS PCE-N13 IEEE 802.11b/g/n PCI Express Wireless Adapter
LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R SATA Drive
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ
MSI PCI TV Anywhere card

Today I got a PCI-E video card to get better Linux video support. I plugged a MSI N210-MD512H GeForce 210 512MB in and the system won't power up at all.

Is it possible that I have the power supply over loaded? I used the calculator from here and it says I only need 304 watts. I even unplugged some of the devices to see if that was the issue but the system barely spins the CPU fan this stops powering up. What do you think? Is it time to upgrade the power supply?

the power supply should be fine to run the system that you have, you could put a better vid card in than that. So it cant power up with the video card installed.....and what happens if you take out the video card??? does it power up??? sounds like a faulty video card. Take it back and get a better one, those geforce 210's are the slowest card you can get, and they dont consume much power at all.

Fetal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
^ don't blame 210, slowest card this and that. i am sure op bought it keeping price in check. it isn't like ATi is handing out free 5770's. isit?

"those geforce 210's are the slowest card you can get, and they dont consume much power at all. "

JayOui

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
With the video card installed, the system won't boot at all. With it not installed, it boots just fine. I going to test the video card in another system today.

I bought the 210 because it was $20 from newegg after rebate and I don't plan to play games on this system. I just needed the vdpau support for video decoding.

Stupido

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008

to me it looks like that you have to look in the BIOS and check the "Primary Graphics Interface" setting - probably you get conflict;

He said he was not even getting power with the card installed. No BIOS setting is going to correct that. Bad vid card.. Return it and use the onboard video, which is probably faster than the 210 anyway, if your not going to be playing any games.

JayOui

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
It's a bad video card. I took it into my office and tried it on another PC and got the same behavior. Thanks for all of your feedback. FYI, for those of you that don't know. ATI + HTPC with Linux is not a good combination.

shovenose

Distinguished
is this one of the antecs from a few years back? with the blue logo on it? replace it immediately. it will be outputting lots of ripple cuz the capacitors in those suck and every single of that generation antecs ive seen had bad caps and either wouldnt work right or the computer would freeze up often...