Any more 6 Core i7's coming out soon?

iqvl

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Might be but it won't be affordable!

Why? There is just no reason for Intel to make Gulftown affordable while hex CPU from AMD can't even keep up with quad core i5 at the same frequency.

There is definitely an upgrade path for X58 as many LGA1366 owners bragged out. It is just not affordable. :lol:

p.s. Don't expect to see affordable hex CPU from Intel until AMD has some "top-end" product that can at least beat quad core i7 at same frequency.

IIRC there's already a "cheap" 6-core from Intel - the i7-970, which goes for a whopping $150 off from the 980X. Yessir, you only pay $850 for a locked multi version of the 980X. Everybody should get two at that price! :D

Techpowerup had an article on Bulldozer at http://www.techpowerup.com/129392/AMD_Details_Bulldozer_Processor_Architecture.html, and it looks like BD will be pretty impressive. But the article also says it'll definitely be on a new socket too, so present AM3 board owners will have to shell out for a new board, just like those Intel Sandy Bridge upgraders will :p.

BadTrip

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006

I just read that also. :lol: :lol: :lol:

unknown_13

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

Yeah you got that one right!:D:D..... :lol:

Anyway, back on-topic:

There are no cheaper hexas coming from Intel in the near future. i7 & i5 quads are still strong and are holding their ground against cheap priced AMD hexa & quad cores, that's why Intel doesn't release new hexas.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

I'd say maybe a 1-3 years. It takes a long time. Intel keeps them at that price range because Intel's Hex's beat out AMD's which are cheaper. Hell, even Intel's Quads beat AMD's Hex's. Seeing how people who need six cores are usually professionals or extreme gamers, they will buy the Hex cpu at whichever price so Intel takes advantage of that.

iqvl

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

+1

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Yeah, after reading the latest System builder Marathon, it just shows that unless you are going to utilize MAX resolution on a HD LCD/LED screen, then its useless to have a 6 core chip AND an SLI/Crossfire setup as the Thuban isnt cut out to be as effective even when reaching 4.0ghz. Its sad but those two cores arent really being used at all anyway at this point for casual and even hardcore gamers, workstation users.

I wonder if studios have jumped on the cheap AMD 6 core processors for their new Firepro setups?