Updated BIOS, CPU fan running 100%

jnojr

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Updated BIOS from F5 to F9 with @BIOS (system wasn't seeing my USB keyboard) After the update, the CPU fan seems to be running at 100% even though the "smart fan" BIOS option is enabled.

It will be in the BIOS under "PC Health Status" I think. If not there look under "Frequency/Voltage Control" - one of the two.

I remember changing my RAM fan (Corsair Mini-twin fans) over the Dominator RAM to a lower setting because they were running around 3,650 RPM. Now, after the settings were changed, they are running around 2,600 RPM

Edit: I read page 45 of your manual. Enable the smart fan control in the BIOS under "PC Health Status" - the CPUFAN and make sure that the fan in question is connected to this fan header. (Similar for SYSFAN and PWRFAN headers)

jnojr

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
I remember changing my RAM fan (Corsair Mini-twin fans) over the Dominator RAM to a lower setting because they were running around 3,650 RPM. Now, after the settings were changed, they are running around 2,600 RPM

I do not have a "RAM fan". And while it is certainly possible that some setting may have changed due to the upgrade... everything is on "auto". i'm not trying to OC or do anything weird. I am not pumping extra voltage that would need to be lowered.

Edit: I read page 45 of your manual. Enable the smart fan control in the BIOS under "PC Health Status" - the CPUFAN and make sure that the fan in question is connected to this fan header. (Similar for SYSFAN and PWRFAN headers)

I did a BIOS upgrade. I don't see how that would move the physical connection from one pin to another.

The system worked fine until I did the BIOS upgrade. After the upgrade, with no other changes, the fan has sped up.

Updating the BIOS - Completely wipes out ANY prior settings, and MOBO Utilities can easily get corrupted with the BIOS updating.

BIOS:
Load Optimized ; page 50

{Fan ; page 45}
CPU Warning Temperature -> 60C/140F
CPU/SYSTEM/POWER FAN Fail Warning -> Enabled
CPU Smart FAN Control -> Enabled
CPU Smart FAN Mode -> Auto
"Note: The Voltage mode can be set for a 3-pin CPU fan or a 4-pin CPU fan. However, for a 4-pin CPU fan that is not designed following Intel PWM fan specifications, selecting PWM mode may not effectively reduce the fan speed."

If you installed ANY Gigabyte utility then uninstall it, utilities like EasyTune 5 cause more problems than they solve.

Failure:
Clear CMOS ; page 29
Repeat above

Failure:
Windows: run MSCONFIG, select - Diagnostic and RESTART
{If this fixes the problem then you have a BIOS invasive App e.g. EasyTune 5 or others messing with BIOS and your FAN(s).

jnojr

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Just to be sure, i went back and cleared the CMOS again. No change.

MSCONFIG isn't going to help because, again, the fan spins up before the OS even starts to load.

It's looking like there's a problem in this BIOS code, but it's been out for a couple of years now. I opened a ticket with Gigabyte. I wonder if I can downgrade to F8...

No one claims that updated BIOS is perfect! Sometimes, it is prudent to revert to the old BIOS. On another note, I did this with an Nvidia driver; the older driver worked better for me on a certain application.