chilledviking

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Hey guys im installing my very first WC system and i got that down,
im just unsure on how to get the "cool ( temperature wise)" glowing blue
that i see so often with WC Pc's.

My first thought was to add UV Blue additive to my water and use a Cold Cathode Uv light.
But the uv light would give off the "black light" purple, but would this be entirely noticable since
all my tubing would glowing blue and my side fan would be glowing blue as well?

Would a blue cold cathode fluorescent light still make my uv reactive blue glow?

I realize it may sound like a dumb question, but its really got me stumped!

So again,

i want to achieve the blue glow in my pc,
without the purple added by the uv light.

vanniko63

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
i have similar situation , was hoping to find some advise , i want blue , myself i presently just finished water loop , i got danger dan blue uv tubing , and under my lights , case light which is led blue . does not do anything for me . i put all this work in and its rather disappointing .i don't want to add dyes, unless i have too. so would a uv led or cathode tub do the job or do i need a combination of light and dye,s

Usually people who are into water cooling prefer to stay away from additives and dyes from what I've seen in many discussions. Most are considered 'safe' but eventually gum things up or turn cloudy. Other colors like red for instance are notorious for staining the tubing. For the best results you'd probably be better off with uv reactive tubing and clear coolant. The tubing will still appear blue.

Uv reactive means you need a blacklight to activate it. Regular led's won't do much other than light up like led's (unless they're specifically blacklight leds). The reason uv products seem to 'glow' all on their own, the chemicals that make them uv reactive pick up and glow under ultra violet light waves which are pretty much invisible to the human eye. The light waves still exist, we just don't see them in the form of a light beam. The only way we really see light is the reflection it casts off other objects. Uv products restrict the glowing effect of the black light to those components giving the sense they're 'glowing'.

Unless the black light is right in the line of sight or really close to another surface you shouldn't see the purple. For instance this photo, you don't really see the purple, just the uv tubing. A little bit of the motherboard is visible and can't be helped since some plastic bits will glow a little under uv, just not as much as uv reactive.
500x1000px-LL-06cad154__DSC0057.jpeg

Update: Here are a couple options for uv blue tubing.
http://www.primochill.com/product/primoflex-advanced-lrt-flexible-tubing-38in-id-x-58in-od-sold-by-the-foot-brilliant-uv-blue/
http://www.performance-pcs.com/feser-tube-active-uv-hose-3-8-id-1-2-od-anti-kink-tubing-white-uv-blue.html

Many water cooling systems look slick with clear tubing and colored coolant but something to keep in mind, most of those photos are taken right after the build is completed rather than a year or two later. Anything can look pristine on day one. That's before the dye or colored coolant has had a chance to gum up, algae formation of any kind, bits of plasticizer etc. That's when you start to see all the little 'floaties' cruising through the clear tubing.

For the clearest/glassy looking tubing you're probably talking acrylic hardline. That's a whole different challenge though with custom bends and exact/precision fits. The older plain uv tubing was opaque and had a duller painted look. Translucent/transparent flex uv tubing should give some middle ground.