Overclocking - Athlon 64 4000+ @ 3.0GHz

Just wanted to share some of my first overclocking results. I was able to overclock my AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego (2.4GHz stock) to 3.0GHz. This is my BIOS settings:

FSB Speed (HTT): 250MHz
CPU Multiplier: 12x
vCore: 1.5v
CPU->NB: 4x
RAM Speed: 166MHz
RAM Timing: 2.5-3-3-8

I ran Prime95 for 7+ hrs without any errors. My load temps get around 55C on stock cooling. I plan to buy an aftermarket cooler but not sure which one (thinking Freezer 64 Pro).

These settings seem to provide optimal results for me: CPU @ 3.0GHz, FSB @ 1000MHz, RAM @ 200MHz (Corsair ValueSelect DDR400). When I try to go to 3.1 or higher, my PC will not even POST (I have to reset the CMOS). I tried increasing the vCore and lowering the CPU->NB multiplier to 3 but with no success.

Any advice?
7 answers Last reply
More about overclocking athlon 4000 0ghz
  1. no advice, just get the cooler.
  2. Well,aside from CPU voltage,you may need to raise your RAM's voltage and its timings too in order to get a achieve a higher OC.
  3. Maziar said:
    Well,aside from CPU voltage,you may need to raise your RAM's voltage and its timings too in order to get a achieve a higher OC.

My RAM's voltage was set to 2.6v (Corsair recommends 2.5v) and I just went with the recommended timing. I'm not too familiar with RAM timings and how to raise them. Can you give me an idea of what I'm supposed to do? I read a lot of info on overclocking, especially AMD cpu's, but I don't recall any of them changing RAM timings.

I would love to get this CPU to 3.2GHz :). I just wish my mobo would atleast POST even if the settings were slightly off. It's annoying having to reset the CMOS everytime I make an adjustment.

BTW, do you guys recommend the Freezer 64 Pro?

[EDIT] I forgot to mention that my mobo is a Foxconn WinFast 6150K8MA
  4. ^ Its not good, not bad either. Sure there are better than this.
  5. cubanjedi said:
    My RAM's voltage was set to 2.6v (Corsair recommends 2.5v) and I just went with the recommended timing. I'm not too familiar with RAM timings and how to raise them. Can you give me an idea of what I'm supposed to do? I read a lot of info on overclocking, especially AMD cpu's, but I don't recall any of them changing RAM timings.

I would love to get this CPU to 3.2GHz :). I just wish my mobo would atleast POST even if the settings were slightly off. It's annoying having to reset the CMOS everytime I make an adjustment.

BTW, do you guys recommend the Freezer 64 Pro?

[EDIT] I forgot to mention that my mobo is a Foxconn WinFast 6150K8MA

2.6v is a little risky, i wouldn't recommend going over the manufacturer's recommended timings.
    You can however change your timings/speeds, first set the timings to the default ones,if it wasn't stable, raise it a bit(maybe by 1), you can find all of these under the Memory tab in the BIOS
  6. My system is stable with default memory timings and voltage. But I'm not sure what to change to allow me to push the CPU more. I would like to get it to 3.2GHz if possible.

It could be my motherboard limiting my CPU's true potential. For some reason when I raise the FSB passed 255MHz, my system doesn't POST at all.
  7. You can't say your motherboard is limiting your OC unless you change more settings(like RAM etc) and check if its still unstable or not.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-overclock-athlon,2161.html
    http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=gethowto&howtoID=58
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking RAM