Good trade off for getting a HD 5850

haxfar

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
I saw a DIY kit that pretty much fullfills my need for a new PC, and the best part is that it cames around my budget, but with a 5850 rather than a 5770.

Only "problem" is that the case is the full-tower HAF 932. I tend to move around to a lot of lan-parties, so was thinking how mobile it is. :??:

asteldian

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Depends. You walking to these parties? :)
It takes two hands to hold it, can't say I've ever struggled to lift a full size PC and I am a noodle armed weenie ;)
So it is big but a managable size and shape, so should be no problem moving to and from a car.

Also the HAF is a fantastic case

I generally find the DIY kits are a waste of money. They throw some good parts in them, but then pack them with subpar parts. I'd recommend picking out your individual parts yourself. You might pay a little more, but you get exactly what you need.

haxfar

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
THis is what's in the deal. (don't know how smart it is to link to a danish site)

-Cooler Master HAF 932
-Corsair TX 650W
-i5-750
-Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz 4GB CL9
-Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3
-XFX Radeon HD 5850
-Western Digital Caviar® GreenPower™ 1TB

And this is what i was thinking on getting, choosing it all self:
-ASUS P7H55D-M EVO
-Intel Core i5 750
-NZXT Vulcan
-Corsair HX650W
Corsair XMS3 2x2048MB (1600MHz, CL8)
-Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA2
-ASUS EAH5850 2DIS 1GD5

The difference is around 165usd. I would imagine it would be much smaller if i used u.s. prices, as those are lower (AFAIK no +25% tax)

That's actually not a bad grouping in the combo. I'm not a huge fan of the board or HDD, but they're at least quality.

The only thing I'd change in the second build is the board. H55 boards are made more for the LGA1156 dual cores than the quads. I'd switch it for an Asus P7P55D-E Pro if you want the ability to Crossfire later or the Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 if you don't.

Other than that, it looks pretty good.

haxfar

Distinguished
May 23, 2010

Problems is that the Vulcan is a micro-atx case, and afaik there's not yet any mobo's in that size with the P55 including USB 3.0 :(

That would be a problem. I'm not well versed on NZXT cases...

I'd ditch it for an Antec 300/300 Illusion, Coolermaster Elite, Coolermaster Centurion 5 or Coolermaster 690. All of those are excellent mid-towers that are fairly cheap (at least in the US).

Mobility really depends on how much you really want to lug around. If you're walking a ways to the LAN parties, I'd say the 932 is a bit too massive for that. If you're driving, then it doesn't really matter.

Some more great cases to look at are the Coolermaster Storm series (Scout, Sniper). I tend to say they're overpriced, but they're built for portability. Expect to pay a little extra for them.

great_dane

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
Hej haxfar jeg er ret sikker paa at du kigger paa tilbudet fra komplett.dk?
Det er god kvali for pengene naesten alle dele er fuldt udstyrede til nutidens kraevende spil. Haf 932 er ikke speciel mobil men er en meget solid kasse der kan holde i over 20 aar. Hvis du ville ha noget mere mobilt ville jeg nok anbefale dig at kigger paa et medi tower, men saa ville du selvfögelig skulle finde alle delene selv og betale lidt extra. Hvis du vaelger at bygge din pc i et medi tower hville jeg nok anbefale at inbygge nogle flere fans og köbe en solid köler(CPU, GPU saa videre). Men alt i alt er det et solidt build(selvom XFX er kendt for daarlig support i EU) men ikke specielt mobilt og med de dele hvil det nok ende med at vaege godt over 5kg.

Held og lykke!

Chuckles_

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
I'm using the Storm Sniper now, and even though it has the top handles, its not much more convenient than the 932 or 922. As for the 932, yeah its doable. It's just a matter of how much convenience you want. Good news: It's not easy to steal!