VERY quick question about RAM, please help

Mushman

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
So I've been ready to order for about a week now but ran into some problems with newegg and their preferred account system because I am trying to ship one place and bill another. Anyway, long story short, I'm just using a credit card.

Of course, now when I go to place an order..the RAM I was going to get and just about everyone has recommended is out of stock now for at least a week: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231303

I'd rather not wait...so is there any RAM on newegg that's around the same price that I wouldn't be giving away any quality/speed or whatever that I could get right now?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277 Looks very similar aside from the model # and it being like $10 more..are there any differences? Any other recommendations? Thanks!

Solution
The Eco sticks are actually better. The reason they don't get recommended a lot is they usually cost around $10 to ship and their price fluctuates a lot, which make the Ripjaws slightly better for the cost.

Mushman

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
after looking at the specs...the 2nd one I linked is a little less voltage and timings are a little slower, although I don't really know anything about that stuff...would it be enough to make a difference?

asteldian

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Are you using Intel or AMD?
If Intel then go with the G Skill ECO series. 1600mhz, 7-8-7-24 latency, and requires less voltage than standard (only 1.35v instead of 1.65v)

So you lose no performance and use a bit less power. For $113.49 plus the shipping cost

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231321&cm_re=g_skill_eco-_-20-231-321-_-Product

The ECO RAM is a good choice, usually without the shipping cost they are near identical price to the Ripjaws and so are getting recommended more often

You do realize one link is to Newegg.com (US) and one is to Newegg.ca (Canadian) right?

The second link is CL 9. That's slower than the first link. However, the lower voltage is good.

Luckily for you, these G.Skill Eco 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CL 7 sticks are the same price as the Ripjaws, and have the same timings with even lower voltages.

@asteldian: Intel or AMD doesn't matter. All of the sticks are under Intel's voltage limits.

Mushman

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
I actually did not realize the second link was to the Canadian newegg, didn't even know there was such a thing (I just searched in google the name of the first one after I realize it was out of stock).

I am using AMD, not Intel, and after you pointing that out, it makes me a little weery of buying either the one I originally posted (that's out of stock) or the one you just posted MadAdmiral, because some people are saying it's not working with their AMD board?

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
There are always problems with computers I have a ga x58a ud5 which has supposedly failed on hundreds of people but it didn't on me.

There will always be a chance that you have issues but I haven't heard of any major ones with G.skill.

It works, it just that they don't know how to set it right. Most reviewers on Newegg shouldn't be allowed near a pointy stick, much less a computer. The sticks work perfectly fine with AMD boards, it's just that they might not default to the correct settings, which causes problems if you don't fix it. All of that is easily avoidable if you set the specs manually in BIOS. That's something you should regardless of the build.

asteldian

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Yes. The reason I had asked AMD or Intel was due to some issues with AMD. The issues are minor - worst case scenario seeming to be to slightly up the voltage or lower the latency. Either way they work, they are the same price as your original choice, and even if you end up tinkering with the voltage to get them to work as stated, well you will likely find they are still running at a lower voltage than the Ripjaws

asteldian

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Yes, when price is close enough I tend to suggest the ECO. Originally they were more expensive, but now there is no difference in price

RAM wise gaming or not doesn't change suggestion. It may effect other part choices, but you are AMD, so am guessing a 955 or 965 or whatever you could afford in budget. If it is the Hexcore then I would downgrade that to a quad.