MoBo to Video Card Compatability

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Compatibility
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
May 20, 2010 2:54:59 PM

Hello everyone,

I recently inherited VIAO VGC RB30 from a friend and was looking to get it into shape. I ordered extra ram, Zelman heatsink, got a 700w PSU.....and a Sapphire Radeon HD 5770. I put it in and when I try to start up the system it wont boot. So yeah Im guessing its a compatibility issue since the mobo is older.
So i began looking for compatible cards and I found this:
http://www.4allmemory.com/video-card/sony-vaio-vgc-rb-v...
They are saying that the Asus HD 5770 IS compatible, but I just want to make sure that is the case.
Also what actually determines the compatibility between a Motherboard and a graphics Card? I understand the VIAO is old and its prob the reason for the incompatibility but what specs should I be looking for when upgrading?

Thanks for any input and I appreciate your time!!!!

More about : mobo video card compatability

a b U Graphics card
May 20, 2010 3:13:05 PM

The slot type is the prime indicator of compatability to motherboard, and equally important is power delivery. PCI-E x16 is the current standard, and has replaced AGP x8 completely, other than a few lowend cards still produced to supply the small amount of AGP upgrades being pursued.

For modern graphics card, a PCI-E x16 1.0 slot is the bare minimum for compatability. The current slot generations is PCI-E x16 2.1, but other than the very strongest cards out there, backwards compatability doesn't come at a penelty.

It may not be the motherboard at all, but the power supply. If the 5770 is asking for more power than the PSU can supply, refusing to boot is one possible symptom.
m
l
May 20, 2010 3:19:36 PM

The ASUS CuCore will be better if you want to overclock. I don't understand why one 5770 would be incompatible and the other one fine. It could be that the motherboard was defective and the PCIe slot never worked. If your friend never installed another card, he'd have never known about this problem.

Edit: Jofa, he said he bought a 700W PSU for his system so it's not likely that's it. As for PCIe, the board should have 1 PCIe x16 slot according to the spec manual for his box found here:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-documents.pl?mdl...
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 20, 2010 3:24:40 PM

It is still currently in the realm of suspects, regardless if it is new. Though your theory does seem more likely, if the PSU issn't DOA. I imagine even a low quality 700w PSU should be enough to push the system.
m
l
May 20, 2010 3:31:49 PM

JofaMang said:
It is still currently in the realm of suspects, regardless if it is new. Though your theory does seem more likely, if the PSU issn't DOA. I imagine even a low quality 700w PSU should be enough to push the system.

I was assuming he tested the PSU before putting in the card. I totally agree that it's the first thing he should check.
m
l
May 20, 2010 6:04:55 PM

Great thank you guys for the response. Yeah PSU works, I removed the card and went ahead with Windows 7 install and everything was fine. hhhhm knowing my luck maybe it is the card or the PCIe slot : ) i know there has never been a video card card in the VIAO so maybe it is a faulty slot.
I have a 8500 GT that I will test once I get home from work. Again thanks for the input guys I will let you know how it went : )
m
l
May 20, 2010 6:07:33 PM

Let us know how it goes. I hope it's not the board.
m
l
May 21, 2010 12:58:45 PM

Tested it yesterday and thankfully it is not the board!!! So that eliminates one suspect. The PSU is also out. I looked at the specs and the card minimum is a 450W. So that leaves either a faulty card or..........hhhm well Im open to suggestions here, cant really think of anything else.........Just throwing this out there with no basis of knowledge or suspicion of any sort, could there be a chipset compatibility issue, again I have no idea where I got with this from so feel free to shoot it down...lol.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2010 2:29:46 PM

Your only option might be to RMA the card.
m
l
May 21, 2010 4:33:44 PM

Ok. Yeah I just RMA'd it and getting the ASUS CuCore instead. I will let you guys know what happens. Thanks.
m
l
May 21, 2010 5:49:14 PM

Are you going to be overclocking it? I hope it works fine. A 5770 will be a very nice upgrade for you.
m
l