Red VGA Light on my Mobo?

G

I purchased a pre build/overclocked system from Aria Pc, which has been running fine for around 3 days now.
The system consists of Windows 7 64bit, P8P67 Pro, i5 2500k oc'ed at 4.5ghz with a aftermarket cooler and a factory overclocked ASUS HD 6870.

The problem first started when I tried to bring my pc out of hibernation, the windows screen "Resuming Windows.." showed up then my pc randomly reset and then the red VGA light on my mobo lit up, but every other post light lit up fine.

I had a problem with the graphics card when I first installed it, initially both the LEDs on the graphics card and mobo lit up, but I seated it into the second PCI_E slot on my mobo and only then did it start, then I reset it in the first slot which worked. Did I fry my graphics card when I first put it in and it has finally showed itself? Or is it something else?

Welcome to Tom's Forum! :)

I assume the the, to my recollection, 2X 6-Pins are connected and seated properly on the HD 6870. I also assume the GPU is properly seated in the PCIe slot. You want to use the top PCIe slot {Blue}.

Q - What PSU?

Guess now: Inadequate PSU, Bad GPU...maybe bad connections.

G

Thank you, yes both 6-pins are seated, I tried both the hard-wired and modular connections and none of them worked. And I believe the card is seated right (clip is flush with card)

My PSU is a Corsair 850w HX.

The PSU is sized fine. If you have another PCIe GPU that certainly would be a tell tale. Seating, the GPU contacts should be covered once installed and the PCIe clip snapped in.

For clarification, I assume Aria Pc shipped the GPU uninstalled and you simply popped it in?

If all above true then I assume the GPU is probably bad.

G

Thats right I installed the GPU myself.

my brother is bringing around a graphics card tomorrow to rule out faulty pci-e connections on the mobo, if not I'll just sent my GPU back, thanks for your help. :D

Chances are it's the GPU. 0-30 days are the magical days of joy and misery. I've had all sorts of DOA items. 9/10 is was from some butterfingered Shipper -- it doesn't take much.

Let me know & hopefully the turn-around time is quick!

TRENDING THREADS