Need oustider's opinion. q6600 -> x4 620

Status
Not open for further replies.

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
basically, the title says it all. i have a 2 year old q6600 (intel has 3 years wty) that's working perfectly fine. i have an offer lately for my p35/q6600 combo. the amount is roughly equivalent to a newer x4 620 setup on an am2+/am3 board (a board that can do ddr3/ddr2 flavors).

so what's your opinion? should i go ahead protecting my investment in the long run? a newer processor would get me another 3 years of spanking new warranty. and since there's no direct comparison between these 2 processors (can't find anything relevant, guru3d has something but i dont use those apps, yes the 2 cpus trades blow and the comparison is absent on the gaming department), i'm using mostly the q8200 as gauge from the anandtech/g3d numbers.

i mainly use my system for gaming, a little webapp development, and lately i'm entering the world of unrealDK.

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
yeah im planning to oc the x4 also as my q6600 runs usually on 2.8ghz-3.0ghz depending on my mood.

i'm not too sure about less juice = better overclock though, i had my hands on a q8200 and i had my head banging against the wall trying to figure out how to make it go beyond 2.8ghz.

thanks for your response.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
Look, I'm trying to persuade you from spending money on a potential 10 percent performance gain, or there a bouts when you look at both CPU's overclocked. Makes little sense if you actually do the math. Yes I know about RMA's and overclocking and how the whole thing works, thanks

wh3resmycar

Distinguished

well it aint my fault you suck @ pretending to be an expert kind sir. but that actual "advice" exposed how much expertise you have.

here's my friendly advice for you: stop giving warranty suggestions to anybody out here in the forum.

wh3resmycar

Distinguished

obviously, you fail at grasping the situation. the scenario here is i'm just "swapping" my old q6600+p35 to a newer x4 620 at no cost at all.

for cryin out loud, how do you live?

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
Not pretending to be an expert just trying to help, a concept you have missed from the beginning, in your rudeness and arrogant behavior. You could have easily just passed over my post if you didn't like it, that's what a mature adult would have done. Instead you choose to flame someone that came on with good intentions to help someone. My advice regarding rma's and overclocking was to try to sway you from buying something you don't need. LOL I'm fully aware they cant tell if you have or haven't overclocked something, lol

Ive seen your type of poster many times... You aren't looking for advice, what your looking for is people to confirm your decision on something.

If I were you, I would grow up and try to be a little nicer to the people here that are trying to help you, whether you feel it's bad advice or not. Good intentions should not be rewarded with insults.

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
opinion is different from approval. like what i've said i appreciate constructive/realistic criticism. but when you use the word "silly" and cant justify nor back it up proficiently, thats different.

honestly, at the level of expertise you have i'd be dissuaded to give out suggestions (which i'm mystified that you actually have the balls to).

again, you call someone silly and you're being nice? well, not in my book it aint! lol.

like what i've said, if you actually understand my query, "amount equivalent to", you won't be using the words "buy something new". i just love exposing dimwits like you, i love it, it's an added bonus someone like you butted in my thread.

you sway someone by misinforming him? if i'm actually new into computers i might've/would've believed you, good thing i'm not.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
The funny things is you have it all figured out but still in your infinite wisdom need to make a pointless thread like this. I said silly so not to offend you. I could have said stupid, or any number of things in regards to the transaction. I will admit I missed the part about the parts being "roughly equivalent" in price, so that's my bad. However that reconfirms how dumb your thread is. Why wouldn't you use newer faster (arguably better parts) for no extra? This thread was not necessary.

^+1

DDR3 is no better than DDR2 so such a mobo is useless. Also these kind of hybrid mobos don't shine in anything.

1. Sell your RAM as well and get some AM3 platform.

2. Keep the RAM and get a good AM2+ mobo

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Socket-DDR2-Motherboard-GA-MA770-UD3/dp/B001PPY12W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1282830399&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Socket-4DDR2-1066-Motherboard-785GT-E63/dp/B00376CHAU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1282830502&sr=8-1

and a better CPU if you can like the Phenom II X4 955 - if you want to keep your rig for some years.

wh3resmycar

Distinguished

again before you make a post in someone's thread read the freakin title. mine says "OUTSIDERS' OPINION" in simpler terms, thats like an outsider looking in / an outsider's contrasting point of view against my pov. you on the other hand post a critique then justified it with a misinforming rebuttal.

and please, before you give a "quack doctor's" advice to someone, didn't it occurred to you that someone who has a hundred more posts than you knows more than you do? especially on something as common as RMA and oc'ing?

oh and the profanities are part of the "being nice" portfolio as well?

wh3resmycar

Distinguished

good intentions, in my book (i dont know yours), dont contain the word "silly" justified with a half-arsed-misinforming-attempt-to-dissuade post.

i'am actually considering a dual pci-e am2+ mobo as oppose to the the hybrid but that will cost more. i'm doing a little damage control to the wallet till 'dozer blows off so i can break the bank and it cash it all in (if it performs).

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
One more post than you can flame all you want, as I wont reply.

Officially overclocking is not recommended and in most cases will void your warranty if they can prove it. That is written in the documents you receive in the box with most cpu's. Most overclockers know this and understand that overclocking can damage an electronic part if performed incorrectly, and have no problem saying goodbye to their warranty for some extra juice from their cpu or gpu.

The fact is... Any given manufacturer can choose to revoke your rights to a refund if they feel you were grotesquely negligent in the care of a product, or have violated the terms of use, I.E. overclocking. I did a quick stay of internship at a local computer store when I was considering getting into the computer field. And i can tell you, both Intel and AMD has told us to go *** in a hat when trying to return chips we were using for benching at high overclocks.

Saying overclocking will void your warranty may not be the most fun or practical advice out there, but it is the truth. Trying to discredit me for saying such a thing is just silly.

bobdozer

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
They can't prove you have overclocked your cpu. Wheresmycar seems to be saying that he can get the whole new athlon setup for the cost of what he's gonna get back for his Q6600.

So, he's getting a new warranty on new components, + the Athlon is a little faster and for sure is MUCH better on power consumption because the Q6600 is one of the hungriest chips known to man. Why wouldn't he swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.