Ram maxing out. Could it be overheating??

th1nker

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
Hey guys,

I recently have been having issues with my ram. It occurs mainly when I play high end games like Crysis. The game ends up sucking up 3gb or more of ram for itself during some moments, and its strange because just a few days ago it ran perfectly fine with all settings maxed out. I installed a relatively large CPU fan and I'm worried that it may be blocking the airflow from other components. Is this possible?

Additional Info:
- Corsair A70 cpu fan
- lancool pc-k62 dragonlord case
- 4gb ddr3 g.skillz ripjaws ram
- asus p8p67le mobo

Also, the CPU fan was so large that it made it impossible to install the ram into the 2 slots nearest to the CPU without first removing the fan. I installed the ram in the 2 slots farthest from the CPU referred to as B slots in the manual (if that means anything).

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
DDR3 RAM won't overheat as it doesn't use enough power. Anyhow, overheating would cause instability, not increased memory usage. Is it the game itself using the RAM, or is it just being used whenever the game is running? Have you upgraded drivers or the graphics card recently?

So long as you're putting both ram sticks into slots of the same color, you're getting full performance out of them.

So long as your CPU fan points towards an exhaust fan, it will actually help cool other components.

There's nothing wrong with a game using up system resources since you're probably not doing anything that demanding (such as encoding video) while gaming. For example, a GTX 470 has like 1.25GB of onboard memory and can use up to 1.75 extra of system memory adding up to 3.0GB of memory usage. Are you sure you're not just looking up how much video memory is in use?

th1nker

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
The slots aren't the same color. They go *black*blue*black*blue* and I have the ram in the farthest right slots. I will likely grab 4 more gigs of ram soon and will stick them in the first 2 slots. Is it going to be a huge problem till then? My computer still says that it has over 4000 megs of memory available and is only using around 35% with a few programs running. All my drivers are updated, and the game is patched. This computer is only 1 week old.

As for looking up how much vid memory is in use, I use the resource manager and it just tells me how much memory is in use. I'm not sure if the vid card is using it. I have a radeon HD6950 with 2gb memory, so I'd assume its not soaking up too much of my ram.

One of my friends mentioned that it might be because the last boss of crysis is glitched and commonly lags and crashes for people, is this possible? I realize that this question just became out of category