HDD HELP PLEASE

lampybc2

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
hey all I have recently created a partition on a HDD with some VERY important files on it but whilst creating that partition (53gig of 2tb) and installing windows on it I seem to have lost EVERYTHING on it except the windows installed on 53 gig of the 2TB PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me there is a way to get my files back... as all i can see in windows is the windows 52gig not the other partition

algreary

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
Hi, that didn't seem very godlike, but as a mere mortal I'll tell you - my favourite file recovery program is Piriform's Recuva which can be downloaded from their website (google them). Download and run the .exe to install, then run the program. It's pretty simple to use just choose the drive you want to look at, choose your OS drive first (as that is the one you are writing to as you do stuff such as search the internet for answers to this problem) and then your new partition/s.

Before you do go into options and choose deep scan, it'll take forever but eventually it will tell you everything that you can recover - green and orange is recoverable, red is not. Once it has found them all - and there will be a lot of files listed you can search by name, list by name, or list by old file structure. All of which are easy ways to find your files.

When you choose to recover them you need to write them to a drive you don't think you will be searching for other files from, so if they're small documents i would recover them to a USB, instead of your HD just to be sure.

One last thing - stop searching the internet or running programs now except of course to get the Recuva program and when you install recuva place it in the partition you think most likely doesn't hold your files - but if you had only one partition before it's gonna be russian roulette. Everything you do between now and searching for your files increases your chances or writing over them.

Goodluck

TRENDING THREADS