Sign in with
Your question

Shrill / high pitched noise inside my pc

Last response: in Components
August 26, 2010 3:26:55 PM

hi, I've been hearing a high pitched noise (It's a high volume - low volume - high volume high pitched sound) and I traced it to my video card external power connector.
It only happened recently. I have two 5770's and a 600w psu. Is the psu going to break? after I noticed the sound (it only sounded like this just recently) I've been only using 1 vga, but the sound still persists. what should I do (my last resort would be replacing the psu)? the sound can only be heard while the GPU is under heavy load (like games and furmark) otherwise I do not hear it even with the case open. what should i do?

thanks in advance
a c 144 ) Power supply
August 27, 2010 6:40:50 AM

If the sound is coming from the video cards, have you determined which video card is the problem?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 27, 2010 7:17:58 AM

Sounds like coil whine from the graphics card to me.
m
l
Related resources
August 27, 2010 10:00:30 AM

yep tested it, it comes from the card (under load like furmark, games, etc.) but I have 2 of them doing the same thing so it's probably not the card's problem. could it be related the the psu? I found out that its coming from the 6pin connector.
m
l
August 27, 2010 12:08:49 PM

I have a similar problem but the whine is being emitted from the PSU. I don't know if its going to die but its my Frankenstein rig so I'm not to freaked out by it
m
l
August 27, 2010 12:09:21 PM

upon further inspection I noticed it was no the 6pin but ALL the capacitors were making the annoying sound, even when changing to the second card, still, all the capacitors were making high pitched noise. can it be a bad power supply?
m
l
August 27, 2010 2:22:30 PM

I think it's probably a case of coil whine (the capacitors on the card?). that doesn't do damage to the card does it? I read of people getting rid of the noise by changing their psu? I would like to know if it's true. my system specs:

600w ocz modxstream modular
2 ati 5770 xfire
intel core i5
2 hdd
1 odd
6 case fans
2x 2gb kingston rams
m
l
!