Budget Gaming Machine: Comments on final build

zalick

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
After much help from users on this site, I've come up with this for a budget gaming machine. I'm using this for playing occasional WoW and no other games. I won't be playing any other games in the future either. I'll use this machine for watching TV/movies mostly and then some WoW. My budget for the machine was between $500-$600. This machine came out to $560 w/ Windows 7.

What are you thoughts? I'm ready to make the purchase tonight or tomorrow depending on if any of you have some last minute suggestions that sway me!

Thanks in advance.

Gaming2.jpg

Solution
4 GB is the standard RAM recommendation these days.

Win 7 requires 2 GB, suggests 4 GB. So 1 GB is definitely not the way to go.

If you plan on using the computer mostly as an HTPC, then the tv makes sense. If you were planning on using it to game with, then it would make more sense to get a monitor. Keep in mind that text may look a little blurry on the TV, as they're not optimized for displaying text.

If you have a decent stereo setup, then you might consider getting an ATI 5nnn series card (possibly 5670 or 5770), as they can bitstream HD audio. If that's not a concern, then the 4850 is a pretty decent bargain.

zalick

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010

Thank you for the quick reply. My budget is approximately 500 w/o monitor. This machine is mostly for watching Downloaded shows and hulu with WoW a few hours a week. I went with the TV as monitor because I thought it would be better for this purpose & I can use it as a straight up TV.

My "budget" is pretty flexible. Money isn't the issue but rather value for what I need the machine to do. I'm not worried about upgrading or playing other games at all.

Is 4gb really overkill? All the other suggestions Ive read/recieved said 4gb is what I need.

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
4 GB is the standard RAM recommendation these days.

Win 7 requires 2 GB, suggests 4 GB. So 1 GB is definitely not the way to go.

If you plan on using the computer mostly as an HTPC, then the tv makes sense. If you were planning on using it to game with, then it would make more sense to get a monitor. Keep in mind that text may look a little blurry on the TV, as they're not optimized for displaying text.

If you have a decent stereo setup, then you might consider getting an ATI 5nnn series card (possibly 5670 or 5770), as they can bitstream HD audio. If that's not a concern, then the 4850 is a pretty decent bargain.

Solution

zalick

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010

Thanks for the info. This setup is to replace my laptop (I don't currently play WoW and haven't for a few years but thought I would start again). Its just a TV setup for my room w/comp. I'll be using the TV speakers. I'm building a seperate true HTPC for my TV room. If I decide I want to game more, I'll just buy a seperate monitor at that time.