Are there requirements for a SSD?

K K0

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
Hello. I was thinking about buying a 64GB SSD for cheap in hopes to speed up my older PC. My PC is very quite but the only thing i can hear is my hard drive when im doing stuff but at idle it's silent.

Anyway i was just wondering if maybe a SSD is not compatible with computers that are a few years old. My hard drive uses a sata cable and while i was browsing SSD's i seen some that said "SATA II" and "SATA III" So that's why i was curious. Thanks!

SSDs require that the storage controller operate in AHCI mode for proper operation. SSDs will also not perform correctly on many add-in storage controllers and dedicated RAID controllers. It is highly recommended that they be connected to the Intel chipset ports whenever possible.

SSDs will work in IDE mode but all features may not be available and performance may diminish over time.

K K0

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012

I wish i was computer literate =\

The OCZ Vertex lineup is better than the OCZ Agility lineup but both will be far better than any platter drive.

I'm personally a huge fan of the Mushkin Chronos Deluxe SSDs. I have 2 in my PC and a couple more in the house as well. Mushkin is the king of the bang for buck ratio.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226318

The Chronos Deluxe SSDs use Toshiba's Toggle mode NAND Flash which is far more reliable than standard Asynchronous/Synchronous NAND Flash used by other manufacturers. This is expected to double the lifespan of the SSD so it should last up to 10 years

The non-Deluxe Chronos SSDs uses industry standard ONFi NAND Flash which is just as fast but not expected to last as long.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226236

K K0

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012

Ooh awesome thanks, 120GB twice as much space ty ty. I will go with the one that lasts longer i just need more money =P Thanks a lot man.

K K0

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012

I just bought a HD 7750 for $69 + shipping from ncix ebay outlet it said openbox/refurbished but it seems brand new, Now i need a new monitor! =D

Samsung is the king of displays, as are the companies that they produce them for (Dell, Asus and a couple others)

K K0

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012

Awesome thank you! You are very knowledgeable with computers i copied all this onto a notepad so i don't forget =P