If you could provide us with a link to your computer on the dell website, it would save a lot of time and effort for potential posters.

Basically, it depends on your needs. I haven't checked on the dell website, but more than likely you will be able to upgrade to a more powerful processor. But the question remains: for what?

First, there is no way that any processor you could upgrade to could provide a major performance increase or anything comparable to low-end systems today. That said, there are times when a slight performance boost is all the user will need in a specific area. For example, I had an overclocked to 2.5GHz 3200+ AMD processor. Single core. Just barely too slow to watch 1080p movies, sometimes and streaming decoding my tv signal was too slow to watch smoothly. An upgrade to a 2.7GHz sempron, would have made all the difference for my task. Would it be noticeable in anything else that isn't cut and dry "work or not work"? no.

In most cases though, the upgrade is not worthwhile, unless you can get the "new" CPU for free.

So what do you need the upgrade for?

Also, on a side note, intel never made a dual core for that socket. the pentium 4 dual core versions were only released on socket 775.

Start console gaming.. Get a PS2.. They are very cheap and have a grand collection of games for you to play..

unknown_13

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
if you have the older 775 socket which I think he does then a P4HT 3.8ghz is the highest
but even the 3.8ghz is rare and still only warrants a 4.4 WEI score. (useless WEI score info, I know..)

unknown_13 your right about the 45nm process, it runs 90nm.

:D

Not only that P4HT model is rare, but also it's very power hungry, it'll heat up your room, and it's sluggish.

This question is very important:
What games? What resolution? What settings?

I still need the answer to that question but, and correct me if I am wrong, this is your computer:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx280/en/ug/specs02.htm

If this is true, not CPU upgrade will increase your graphics performance. You need to purchase a dedicated graphics card or save for a new computer. What you do will depend on my previous question:
What games? What resolution? What settings?

khurramamin96

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010