Sign in with
Your question

GTX285: low score 3DMark - hardware problem ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 20, 2010 8:45:47 PM

Hi, I think I have an issue with my graphics card or maybe with another hardware component.
For over a year now I have an MSI GTX285 Super Pipe OC and whilst the performance in most games is acceptable (Fallout 3, F.E.A.R 2, Dead Space) it is never spectacular.
Recently I've re-installed Crysis and saw the frame rates drop to less than 15 fps. That's when I decided to run 3D Mark Vantage. This is my score

Overall 8794
CPU 20689
GPU 7380

Shouldn't the GPU score be much higher?
My rig

Phenom II X4 940
M3A79-T Deluxe with 790FX chipset
MSI GTX285 Super Pipe OC with drivers 197.13
4 Gb Kingston 800 Mhz DDR2
Vista 64 bit
700 watt PSU

I have updated all drivers, installed a new PSU, cleaned up Windows but the score remains low.

How do I know if this is a software or hardware problem? Because 3D Mark gives a low score for the gpu I'm assuming the problem is with the video card but I may be wrong?

Help is most appreciated - I really have no clue anymore what to do next !
a b U Graphics card
May 20, 2010 9:13:24 PM

It's low alright, seeing some gtx285 scores are more less around 11,000, could be a typo.. but crysis fps seems too low too..

You don't notice a change in any games? did you play crysis before and ran okay?
a c 217 U Graphics card
May 20, 2010 9:25:14 PM

You should load up GPU-Z and post a screen shot of it for us.
Related resources
May 20, 2010 9:27:32 PM

I am having a similiar problem with my GALAXY GTX280 also. Got an average of only 34fps on MW2 via FRAPS ( @1920x1080 all settings: Maximum). I know it's an old card, but shouldn't it at least get around 50+ fps?

My rig:
Intel E8400 @3.6 Ghz ( clocked via board's AI)
Striker II Formula
GALAXY GTX280 , referent version @ stock speed, latest driver
4gb of some suckass DDR2 667Mhz (stole them from my office lol)
500gb WD cavier black
Windows 7 64bit
Tagan 600 watt PSU

Haven't 3d marked it though. Anyone please help?

Thanks in advance.

May 20, 2010 9:35:41 PM

My GPU Z screen:
May 20, 2010 9:43:12 PM

Here's the link to GPU-Z

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/2139/gpuz.jpg

No, it's not a typo ... the scores are really that low

It was the first time I played Crysis on this PC. It did run better on my AM2+ 7900GT system ...
Even COD MW 1 (not 2) did not run very well.
I've bought a couple of newer games, Metro 2033 and Bioshock 2 but don't know yet how these run.

Fact is there is a problem somewhere but I'm not able to pinpoint where it's coming from :( 
a c 217 U Graphics card
May 20, 2010 9:46:40 PM

Nothing seems to be glaring at me in the GPU-Z pics. That leaves drivers and patches. Have you considered using a set of older drivers? Sometimes new drivers have troubles.
a b U Graphics card
May 20, 2010 9:48:40 PM

I ran bioshock 2 at +50 fps on my old nvidia 9800gtx, also, COD MW ran great too on that card...

You should talk with the ensambler for support and info, and think about RMA, I can't see any way around it, it's clear that your card is underperforming..

Edit, forgot to say, if you can, check the gpu by installing it on another pc, and do so with the PSU too if you can, one at a time
May 20, 2010 9:48:57 PM

Forgot to mention that this on a prehistoric 10280x1024 resolution !

System is completely patched. It is better with older drivers but I never get a score above 8500 for the gpu.

Could this be hardware related ? If it is software related I am considering to do clean install and upgrade to Windows 7
a b U Graphics card
May 20, 2010 9:50:29 PM

Bystander's right. Sometimes newer isn't always better, ESPECIALLY drivers. Nvidia's usually pretty good about it, but sometimes they miss something and stuff goes coo-coo.

Try rolling back your driver to an older more stable one. Also, if you have a spare, try another video card and see if you notice a difference.
May 20, 2010 9:53:33 PM

kiban said:
I ran bioshock 2 at +50 fps on my old nvidia 9800gtx, also, COD MW ran great too on that card...

You should talk with the ensambler for support and info, and think about RMA, I can't see any way around it, it's clear that your card is underperforming..

Edit, forgot to say, if you can, check the gpu by installing it on another pc, and do so with the PSU too if you can, one at a time

Can I stress test or use a tool to find out if the card is really underperforming? Ran the MSI Kombustor tool and that was pretty much ok. Also some other apps did not return any problems.
May 20, 2010 9:53:48 PM

hmmm.... could be that I am not using a *cough* genuine version of windows 7? Thus, lacking the proper updates that could contribute to gaming performance?
a b U Graphics card
May 20, 2010 10:03:47 PM

Daveke34 said:
Can I stress test or use a tool to find out if the card is really underperforming? Ran the MSI Kombustor tool and that was pretty much ok. Also some other apps did not return any problems.

There are some game benchmark tools that you can download and use to compare results on enthusiastic benchmarks, other than that, I guess looking at the temperatures and looking for artifacts, the last one doesn't seem to be the case

First, try the drivers as borisof007 and bystander recommended, and see what's what. On second you could try comparing your bench resulst with enthusiastic benchmarks on every game that you have(or download some demos)

If it really is that bad, there is something wrong. The last step is RMA, so if you have patience you can try more things first.

Quote:
hmmm.... could be that I am not using a *cough* genuine version of windows 7? Thus, lacking the proper updates that could contribute to gaming performance?

I have XP home genuine version on my old computer, never updated it, never had problems.
May 20, 2010 10:31:56 PM

might I add that my GTX 280 is super hot, litterally!

is 69C normal at idle?

Btw, thanks for all your replies, and thank Daveke34 for starting the thread.
a c 217 U Graphics card
May 20, 2010 11:51:28 PM

For that card, I believe that's normal.
May 30, 2010 12:27:18 PM

I think I found the problem. After installing the latest 257.15 drivers AND disabling AMD cool 'n' quiet the results are much better. I noticed that the cpu was only running @800 Mhz - now it's @3010 Mhz. Guess that cool 'n' quiet was causing the problems!

Some results with 3DMark Vantage Advanced - Performance settings

1) nVidia settings on default (except power management = maximum performance)
total 14515
cpu 37008
gpu 12069

2) nVidia settings on max. quality except anti-aliasing (application controlled) and power management = maximum performance (so with v-sync forced, supersampling, high quality occlusion, etc)
total 11169
cpu 37621
gpu 9041

3) nVidia settings on what I believe is a good quality/performance balance - v-sync is application-controlled

total 14540
cpu 38189
gpu 12052

Crysis benchmarking tool gives DX10 1280x1024 AA=4x, 64 bit test, Quality: very high ~~ Overall Average FPS: 3755 (+ v-sync enabled)

I guess these are acceptable results :)  Seems to have been a software issue after all, but not caused by a gpu but by a cpu feature!

!