HD 5770 - lots of reboots while gaming

G

Hello, i'm getting a lot of reboots lately (mainly while playing starcraft 2 but not only), and i'm quite lost at what to do to solve it.

Basically my config is:
- Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A79XTD EVO
- Proc: AMD Athlon II X4 620
- Hard drive: WDC WD5000AAKS
- Memory: 2 * DDR3 G.Skill F3-10666CL8-2GBHK 2048 Mo PC3-10700H (667 Mhz)
- Graphics: Radeon HD 5770 (RV840,,1024 Mo)
- Screen: NEC MultiSync EA231WMi

What can i say more ?
- Graphic driver is up to date (Catalyst 10.4)
- i'm not overclocking anything
- i run a bit of memtest, no issue detected
- sometime windows can crash even if i'm not running any particular application, and sometime the computer won't reboot, but then windows will show something like "Your display driver was not responding anymore and has been restored" (sorry for my poor translation from french).

I've seen some good topics here explaining what to do when the issues were happening while NOT using the graphic card (typically internet browsing or so), even tried it, but didn't solved.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.
Rgds,

Jahz

Zulu191

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
When I first upgraded to Win7 Pro 64 bit I had this same problem. I thought it was my graphics card as well but in the end for me it turned out I had a bad stick of ram. Try running the system with one stick at a time and see if that stops the crashes.

Crashes and blue screens usually aren't a symptom of the GPU. It sounds like RAM so like Zulu said, try running with each stick individually. Do a full Memtest86+ since it runs different tests it won't always give an error right away.

G

Hello, thanks to you all for the suggestion, will try this and let you know.

@wa1: is PSU Power Supply Unit ?
If yes, well i'm using the default one from my Antec Sonata III, so a 500W one (i think it's an EarthWatts).

Jahz

G

Hi, i ran Memtest86+ for 5 hours (5 complete pass), and no error detected.
Will try to boot with only 1 RAM still...

Jahz

ohsonoob

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
I'm with wa1 on this one. If you recently upgraded your card, it could be that you just don't have the right PSU for the job. Chances are you're not getting enough power to your other components with the new card. Did you just upgrade the card or did you just build the computer from scratch?

Though it could also be a RAM problem, if the computer ran fine before you upgraded your card (if you did) then chances are it's more of a power issue than RAM issue, though it never hurts to see if RAM is the issue at hand.

LuigiVN

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Well, your PSU is certified for ATI HD 4870. That is equal to a 5770 in power consumption so I don't think your PSU is the problem... Note that the PSu is not certified for 5770 according to AMD site.

G

My computer is a brand new one, i've not upgraded my card.

Jahz

G

All drivers for each hardware is up to date.

Jahz

G

Well, seems you had it !
Removed one of the two sticks, had 5 quite straightforward crashes while playing sc2 (well, i had to stress the stuff a bit with alt-tabs, multiple apps, but anyway).
With the second one, no one single crash until now, neither in windows nor in sc2.

Will stay like this for some days to confirm, send will send back the bad stick.

Thx for advice,

Jahz

Zulu191

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Well, seems you had it !
Removed one of the two sticks, had 5 quite straightforward crashes while playing sc2 (well, i had to stress the stuff a bit with alt-tabs, multiple apps, but anyway).
With the second one, no one single crash until now, neither in windows nor in sc2.

Will stay like this for some days to confirm, send will send back the bad stick.

Thx for advice,

Jahz

Glad I was able to help.