Should I upgrade my Processor or Graphic card?

Dyjon54

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
I currently have a pen D 2.8 processor. and 3 gigs ram. Motherboard won't show more than 3.25? Even though I'm using windows 64 bit ult. Anyways My graphics card is the 4650 rad with 1 gig ddr2. Was going to upgrade to the 5750 but was wondering if getting a new Mother Board + ddr 3 4 gig and also a AmD 3 core Processor. somthing like this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.456238

WOuld be better than upgrading the graphics card thanks.

Solution
You will probably run into a bottleneck with your Pentium D running the 5750. I'd upgrade to a new platform entirely. Your at the point where your current equipment is quite dated.

An AM3 Platform with a fast Athlon dual core or Phenom 2,3 or 4 core will give you a significant and noticeable improvement. From there the 5770 is a great card for the money. My brother runs it and it's nearly on par with my 4870.

It all depends on your budget. If you have the money to spend, go with an entirely new platform. If you don't, wait until you do. I don't see you gaining an real improvements with your current system.

Just my 2c

xzibith46

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
I have both a 5750 and a PD 3.2 now let me tell you that the 5750 is a terrable card for drivers everytime im looking at a youtube video it crashes and says ati display driver has stopped responding and has sucsussfuly recoverd so i would go with a gtx460 insted i would do your pc first then your card if your gaming if not do what u think is better thx

runningbot

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
You will probably run into a bottleneck with your Pentium D running the 5750. I'd upgrade to a new platform entirely. Your at the point where your current equipment is quite dated.

An AM3 Platform with a fast Athlon dual core or Phenom 2,3 or 4 core will give you a significant and noticeable improvement. From there the 5770 is a great card for the money. My brother runs it and it's nearly on par with my 4870.

It all depends on your budget. If you have the money to spend, go with an entirely new platform. If you don't, wait until you do. I don't see you gaining an real improvements with your current system.

Just my 2c

Solution

EnderWiggin

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
I agree with runningbot, time for a new system, especially if you are into PC games, any money you put into upgrading your current system is a waste since you will only get a minor performance increase.

runningbot

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
To help clarify your needs, run a couple of tests on your current system:

1) Run your games, but reduce the resolution and eye candy to a minimum. This will simulate what will happen if you upgrade to a stronger graphics card. If your FPS improves, it indicates that your cpu is capable of driving a stronger graphics card to higher levels of FPS.

2) Keeping your graphics resolution and settings the same, reduce your cpu power. Do this by removing the overclock, or by using windows power management to set a maximum cpu% of perhaps 70%. If your FPS drops significantly, it indicates that your current cpu is a limiting factor, and that a faster cpu would help.

If your monitor is 1080P or higher, I suspect that the graphics card is the best update.

iggybeans

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
Three core processor may not have a defective fourth core, and besides, most systems don't benefit significantly from a fourth core (or more).

Definitely go for the new motherboard and processor. Your graphics card isn't the greatest, but that processor leaves a lot to be desired. Remember, Netburst architecture actually allowed AMD to briefly hold the top performer position.

runningbot

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010

What AMD line of 3 core cpus aren't cast offs from a quad core fabrication process? I wasn't aware that AMD had a specific 3 core fabrication process. If I'm mistaken please enlighten me.

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
I've heard they sometimes AMD just deactivates a core if demand for the tri core is high. So technically it's not always a defective core, bit that's just nitpicking.
Now with a 300 dollar budget you could go this route. It won't offer you too much for a cpu upgrade path but you'd get the best performance now:
CPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103706
Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186147
Supposedly it will take phenom 2 cpus with the latest bios update
GPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102901

Then reuse your memory with these. It's not incredible but would be a huge boost to your entire system. Now if you would be able to get money later on for a gpu then going with the parts runningbot listed for you would be better.

runningbot

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
"I've heard..." Me too but nothing has been confirmed from AMD as far as I know. Mostly rumor and speculation. Never-the-less.

I really would advise against going cheap on the motherboard. The motherboard determines your platform and the future of what you can do with that platform. By cost cutting on your motherboard you nerfing your entire system. If I could create a rule of thumb on PC building it would be this:
Adopt the new tech on the second motherboard revision and buy the flagships. Then plop a budget CPU and GPU into it. Since you already have great bones you can support great CPUs and GPUs later if you desire. Skimping on the motherboard, the "soul" of your platform is a big mistake.

The 4850 on the other hand is a great card. I'd highly recommend it.

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
I agree with you about not going cheap on the motherboard and the benefit of going with the quad over the dual. I put that list together because all of those parts are decent and it would give the op a good cpu and gpu boost. The op might not have cash to get a new video card later and this option would give him a decent gaming rig for the price. Now if it was my money I would go with a better motherboard and ddr3 ram but there is always the option of reusing his old ddr2. There's not much of a performance hit and it saves money. The downside is not much for a cpu upgrade path.

runningbot

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
But that mobo is garbage... How can you recommend it? It doesn't even support the CPU your suggesting; I agree with your cpu choice but I put forth a solid motherboard that, coincidentally also supports the cpu.

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
Have you used this motherboard before? The one you suggested is better but I've used two of these before to build office computers and they've been trouble free. I also haven't seen a review on these either. They aren't great overclockers but the new bios even allows 6 core use:
http://www.foxconnsupport.com/download.aspx?models=en-us0000369&category=C000000001&series=en-us0000008&keywords=&sort=BIOS
Like i said the mobo you picked out IS better but show me a bad review of this board or tell me of an actual bad experience you had with one because the 2 I've used have been trouble free.

runningbot

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
So your honestly recommending a motherboard that supports the recommended CPU (possibly) with a BIOS update (who knows what hassles that entails) and DDR2 (only 2 slots) as an upgrade? What your saying is go from your un-upgradable box to another un-upgradable box that is already out dated. I simply can't condone that. Your suggesting that saving $50 (2x6 packs of beer, 2x packs of smokes and a DVD in NY) is worth having no upgrade path what so ever? Except maybe... and it's a longshot maybe... a slightly better CPU?

That's your recommendation to this guy?

Hey I'm the first so say save buck, but not at the cost of two bucks in a year from now. Come on.

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
Ok, me not remembering the two ram slots is actually a bad call on my part. The op has 3gb so realistically will have 3 or four sticks. That does ruin my side of this argument. Runningbot you won this round. Damn you

Dyjon54

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010

I was looking at that one. Seems alot better. I think I linked the wrong one because thats the one I want.

If a DDR2 version of the HD4650 has only just begin to struggle for you, there's no need to allow yourself to be talked into a $200+ graphics card unless you know you'll be playing some of the newest, most demanding titles at high resolutions. Otherwise, you can find a HD5670, HD4850, or HD5750 (in order of performance) for $80, $100, or $125.