Which SSD should i get

ABUH

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
hi, i want to get an SSD for my system, i am looking at 120/128 gig for around 80 pounds.

have narrowed it down to these three, but i don't know which one to go for. i need excellent performance and reliability.

Samsung 830 128

Sandforsk extreme 120

Corsair 120GB Force GT

ABUH

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

is it faster then the other two, and how long is you boot time with it?

thanks

^ IS CORRECT.
Benchmarks may show a diff, BUT they are Synthetic, not real Life.
Most Popular with manuf is ATTO Benchmark - a HDD benchmark that is NOT very representative of real life!!!

You will not see Much performance diffence in real Life day-to-day operations.
My recommendation as ALWAYS, the Curcial m4, the samsung 830 and added the plectpor m3 - which of the Three, Ofcoarse which ever is cheapest at time of purchase.

As to the Turm on time, both my m4 (SB i5-2410m laptop) and 830 (i5-2500k desktop) for from "start loading the OS" to Opening the First progeram in about 15 sec. For Opening programs, I can click on an excel spreadsheet and excel will load WITH the spreadsheet inplace BEFORE I can move the mouse to a cell. YOU will never see the difference ie reaction time is around 100 mSec for lowely humans. the difference in load tim is like in < 30 mSec.

I have 3 Crucial m4s, 3 Samsung 830s, and 2 (Ugh) Agillity IIIs

^ Most MLC Nand has a 10,000 write life cycle, what is it for Toggal NAND???
If 10,000 is > 10 Years and Toggle is >15 years could be a mute point for Most unless they have an abmormally high writes.

geofelt
Quote. They make their own nand chips, and have the means to do a better job of validation End quote.
True for Samsung, But not true for all of the Intel as Som Intel use micron Chips. @ one point in time the micron series 9 chips were considered the best for memory.
I have No problem using Micron Nand. Curcial was a spin off of micron and probably uses Micron NAND (can not swear to it).

PS Have to Put a plug in for Micron as I ave 200 shares (but also 200 shares of Intel) - Sure wish I sold Both back in 2000 (both were around 50 bucks a share then.

From a user perspective, you will not be able to tell the difference in performance among any of the current SSD's.
Also, longevity is not an issue for even a heavy desktop user. The ssd will be long obsolete before it ever loses it's update capability.

From a reliability point of view, The samsung 830 would be the best, along with the Intel 330 series.
They make their own nand chips, and have the means to do a better job of validation.

A SSD will slow down as it gets near full. Consider getting a larger unit such as 180gb if you can afford it.

You did not say what operating system it was for, if it is for XP or vista or your motherboard does not support AHCI then get a Kingston or Intel drive. If you are running Windows 7 on a motherboard that supports AHCI then take RetiredChiefs advice and get the cheapest one.

Toggle is supposedly about twice that of ONFI MLC Nand. I'm sure that's overstated by a bit but even 50% is impressive given that the performance is the same if not better. The drawback is that it's more expensive.

ABUH

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

so which one should i get.

ABUH

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

i was also thinking about ocz vertix 4 a crucial m4,

should i consider them?

Curcial m4
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148525&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo
Samsung 830
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147163
Muschin
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226318&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Solid+State+Disk-_-Mushkin+Enhanced-_-20226318

Really your choice, You would be happy with any of them.
But food for thought.
1). Not but a buck or two between the 3. Yes the Mushkins is $110 But is ALSO 8 Gigs smaller. If you factor that in the mushkins are $118 vs about $119 fo the m4 and Samsung 80.
2) You'll NOT see a performance difference, only in benchmarks (and that just traslates to Bragging rights).
3) The Samsung use a samsung controller, the m4 a curcial Controller and the Mushkins a SF controller. personnally I ( and many others) prefer the Samsung and Curcial controller over the SF controller.
4) Both the m4 and the 830 are probably more popular, and have better user Stats. But to be honest the mushkins seem to be OK in this department.

5) The Longevity between Toggle and OnFi2 NAND
in the vast majority of cases will be of little importants as both should out live the useful life. I think the 830's uses toggle nand. But in reading that article, not sure if performance was more influenced by a change in die size vs the change to Toggle Nand ???

Based on the above, I'd still go with the m4 or the samsung 830.

PS unless needed YESTERDAY, wait a few days, I'll bet you will find the M4 or the 830 on sale at newegg for $100. NOTE: labor day week end is coming up real soon and may be able to get a GREAT buy.

Added:
On Vertex 4. That uses a differnt controller (not the SF). Looks like it may be a good SSD, Agisn on performane probably not much diff in real life than the 830. Back of Mind in a Anandtech review the vertex 4 and the 830 swapped which was tops depending on wich parameter was measure. I personnaly would like to see more data on user experience as it has not been out that long, compared to M4 and 830.
While I may end up saying it a good buy, I will never Buy as I DO NOT like the management of OCZ. As many others, OCZ management turn many OFF on the company. This is a case that once you loss the trust of the customer it is very hard to get it back.