Sign in with
Your question

Random Choppy Lines

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 20, 2010 10:15:24 PM

Hi, I am new to the forum. I have a weird problem with my graphics card, so I wonder if anyone has seen this problem ever before and can give me some advice.

Let's start off with a screenshot of what I see on my screen (when the problem occurs)...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now, this doesn't happen all the time. When I start up my computer, everything is fine. It is until I start coming across banner ads on websites that these lines happen. To give you another example, I can run Starcraft 2 beta for hours and hours (I know it is not high end graphics...) and nothing will happen. But when I start going into websites with banner ads, it becomes a ticking time bomb...

Some troubleshooting methods I tried include, formatting my computer, installing the latest video drivers. I have also tried different video cards - geForce 8800 GT, geForce 9500 and now an ATI Radeon 5750. They all have the same problem. I am beginning to suspect it is a motherboard or RAM issue...

But before I start replacing the motherboard or ram, has anyone seen this and can give some advice? Thanks in advance!

More about : random choppy lines

a c 173 U Graphics card
May 20, 2010 10:17:40 PM

Possible also check the monitor cable for any damaged or corroded pins/ contacts.
m
l
May 20, 2010 10:48:39 PM

I would definitely try using different RAM sticks and swapping the monitor (trying each solution one at a time) if neither work, then I would most certainly agree that it is your motherboard. it also would make a bit of sense to say it could be a bad OS install? things like this can happen from a poopy disorganized OS. I've had some really strange problems that seem certainly to be hardware, until I re-install windows and everything works perfect.
m
l
May 21, 2010 4:14:54 PM

Like they said, check the Ram, also try a different browser. it could be a plugin issue.
m
l
!