High Pitch Sound Through USB Headphones While Surfing Web and Apps

Hellbound

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
Subject pretty much explains whats happening. I havent installed any new hardware. This started about a week ago. The high pitch noise is pretty faint, but changes as I surf the web. I can say when I hit any menu on the screen that either contracts or expands, the pitch changes tone.

I have the onboard sound disabled, no sound card installed, and I'm using the Creative Labs Sound Blaster Arena USB headset.

KBentley57

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
Its called interference. Something is messing with your signal between the PC and your head. My guess is that your headphones aren't shielded. I would go out on a limb and say that you can probably hear it rev up with extreme cpu usage too.

Try a different set and see if you get the noise. Also, try some external speakers and see if they make the "buzz" too

runningbot

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Like kbentley57 said it's a form of interference or feedback on that circuit. Have you tried simply plugging them into a different USB port? I found on a logitech usb head set plugging it into the front usb port on my case removed the interference.

Hellbound

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
I've tried plugging into a different USB port, I get the same noise. When I first start the pc, I dont hear the noise. But if I turn on a voip services like ventrilo or team speak 3, I start to hear it. Heard it also while playing COD4. The noise is directly influenced by whats on the screen. If I scroll the mouse up, the pitch changes. If I move the page with the keyboard arrow keys, the pitch changes.

Could it be the power supply? Since I dont operate off onboard or a sound care.. Would getting a good sound card help? I was thinking like Sound Blaster Titanium, and buying a new headset.

G

Try to power your computer in the other part of your house. I was having the same problem cause the old instalations in house. Now when i changed my room, everything is ok again!