• Gaming
  • Computer
  • Components
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
June 28, 2010 11:23:31 PM

Hello,

I am putting together my own gaming computer build for the first time, have performed quite a bit of research and think I have determined all of my ideal components for my price range, desired features, and the ability to upgrade these components in the future.

I just have a few questions that came up when reading various forums and reviews for some of my desired components and this seems like a great place to get some feedback.

1) With my current setup, keeping in mind future upgrades I want to perform, what should the wattage on a power supply unit be? Also, any brand recommendations or actual product recommendations?(This is including overclocking the components as well, I'm not sure how much oc'ing these components would raise the required power, also I believe that psu(s), in general, work most efficiently, and quietly, at 50%-60% load, something to keep in mind).

2) I have read that the motherboard I have chosen is very picky with its RAM so to make sure to pick the memory off of the QVL list provided by Asus, the problem with this is that the list contains memory that is outdated and no longer in circulation, so I am unsure on what current memory I could use that is certain to work properly without issues.

3) Is this a good setup? Will all the components work well together? Any recommendations? Any feedback on certain components and will this system provide me a good bang for my buck? Keeping in mind the total cost of my current components is already at the ceiling of my budget, so if you were to recommend a more expensive different processor, you would have to combine it with a less expensive motherboard, etc.

I do love the motherboard and processor I have chosen and have based all my other component selections around those two components

My Current Component List:
Processor:Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus III Formula LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard

Memory: G.SKILL Trident 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-4GBTD

Hard Drives: Kingston SSDNow V Series SNV425-S2BD/64GB 2.5" Desktop Bundle 64GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
(SSD For my OS (Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit) as well as World of Warcraft Files and a couple other games)
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Optical Drive:SAMSUNG Black 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner LightScribe Support - OEM

Graphics Card: XFX HD-585X-ZAFC Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Black RC-932-KWN3 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64BIT Operating System Software - OEM DVD, English

Power Supply Unit: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro RS850-AMBAJ3-US 850W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Desired Future Upgrades:
1) An aftermarket processor cooling unit
2) Another 4gb of matching RAM
3) A second matching graphics card for CrossFire X setup
4) A second matching WD Caviar Black HDD for a RAID 0 setup
5) A Blu-ray Drive

I have all my peripheral devices already and my monitor is a 24 inch 1920x1080p LG Monitor that I want to use at full resolution when I'm playing games or just using my computer casually.
If you looked at the products I selected you can see I'm going for an asthetically pleasing Red and Black system.

Thank you to all of you who provided feedback and help! It is greatly appreciated!

More about : gaming computer

a b 4 Gaming
June 29, 2010 12:10:35 AM

When someone is planning on running two 5850s I usually recommend a good 650W PSU, but if you're planning on OCing your 5850s then maybe you would want more than that. The Silent Pro 850 is a very good PSU, but you would be fine with something a bit cheaper:
Corsair TX750 ($108.99, free shipping 10USD rebate)
Antec Truepower New TP750 ($113.99, $8.39 shipping)
Thermaltake Toughpower XT TPX-675 ($133.99, $14.19 hipping)
Antec Earthwatts 750 ($139.99, $8.59 shipping)
Silverstone ST75F-P 750W ($139.99, $14.19 hipping)
Seasonic S12D 850 ($144.49, $13.79 shipping)

The HAF 922 is almost exactly the same size as the 932 and should be significantly cheaper. So unless you need the extra 3.5" bay then I think you should consider the 922.

For about $10 more I think the Kingston SSDNow V+ 64GB drive is worth it as it will be a lot faster than the SSDNow V version. Unfortunately I don't think it will come with the bundle. Possibly the change in case would pay for this.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 29, 2010 3:38:29 AM

I would switch out the board for an Asus P7P55D-E Pro. There is absolutely no reason to get a board that's more expensive than that.

I'd also switch out the WD HDD for a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB. Counting shipping, the F3 is about $1 cheaper, obviously larger, but also faster, quieter and runs cooler. It's just plain better.

Finally, I'd get these sticks of RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7. They're cheaper and faster.
m
l
Related resources
June 30, 2010 7:38:13 PM

Silvune said:
When someone is planning on running two 5850s I usually recommend a good 650W PSU, but if you're planning on OCing your 5850s then maybe you would want more than that. The Silent Pro 850 is a very good PSU, but you would be fine with something a bit cheaper:
Corsair TX750 ($108.99, free shipping 10USD rebate)
Antec Truepower New TP750 ($113.99, $8.39 shipping)
Thermaltake Toughpower XT TPX-675 ($133.99, $14.19 hipping)
Antec Earthwatts 750 ($139.99, $8.59 shipping)
Silverstone ST75F-P 750W ($139.99, $14.19 hipping)
Seasonic S12D 850 ($144.49, $13.79 shipping)

The HAF 922 is almost exactly the same size as the 932 and should be significantly cheaper. So unless you need the extra 3.5" bay then I think you should consider the 922.

For about $10 more I think the Kingston SSDNow V+ 64GB drive is worth it as it will be a lot faster than the SSDNow V version. Unfortunately I don't think it will come with the bundle. Possibly the change in case would pay for this.

I am going to change my case from the Haf 932 Black to the Haf 922 (-$80), and purchasing a 3.5" to 2.5" (+$10) bay converter to accomodate the SSD in the 922 because it does not come with a stock bay converter.

I am going with the V+ series that is only slightly more expenisive ( +$10) but has much better performance.

Since you recommend that a good 750w PSU will be enough to accomplish what I'm try to do with this build, I am going to get a SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply. Although it is the same price as the coolermaster psu I had originally chosen, this one from SeaSonic is much more efficient, actually one of the most efficient psu's out there, and still completely modular and very well sleaved. I don't mind spending the $30 more for a psu, when compared to a few of your recommendations, as I know how important clean, stable power is for my components, and highly value the modular design which will help me reduce clutter in my now smaller case and help to increase air flow.

This suggestion from Silvune has helped me obtain a faster and better SSD, a more efficient and higher quality psu, and saved me $60 while doing so! I am going to use this extra savings, to purchase a Cooler Master V8 Cpu Cooler as well (costs $60).

Thanks Silvune!
m
l
June 30, 2010 7:51:12 PM

MadAdmiral said:
I would switch out the board for an Asus P7P55D-E Pro. There is absolutely no reason to get a board that's more expensive than that.

I'd also switch out the WD HDD for a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB. Counting shipping, the F3 is about $1 cheaper, obviously larger, but also faster, quieter and runs cooler. It's just plain better.

Finally, I'd get these sticks of RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7. They're cheaper and faster.

I am going to change my HDD from the WD Caviar Black to the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB.

I am also going to change my memory to the G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7.

About the mobo, I am going to stick with the Asus Maximus III Formula, this board has certain features that are very valuable and useful to me, such as being able to monitor and tweak the bios on my laptop on the fly while my computer is running games or whatever. Plus as embarassing and illogical as this is, I really like the appearance of the board, and its athestics match all the other components in my build (aside from the new memory).

MadAdmiral's post has helped me get a faster, and much larger HDD, as well as helped me get faster memory with tighter timings, all while saving me $10! Can't go wrong with better components at a cheaper cost!

Thanks MadAdmiral!
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 30, 2010 8:02:06 PM

Plus the X750 will be silent when you're running idle, nice bonus there.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 30, 2010 8:10:26 PM

Just FYI, if you purchase another hard drive in the future with plans to create a RAID 0 container, you'll need to back up all of your data prior to switching to RAID. Creating a RAID container destroys all of the data currently on the disk.

You might also consider the XFX 750W PSU. It's made by Seasonic or based on a Seasonic design, something.
m
l
!