coolkeeper

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
Greetings..
first, this is my friend's computer spec, (he is the one having this problem) :

Motherboard : Asus P5Q-Pro
Chipset : Intel P45/P43
Processor : Interl Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3000 MHz
Physical Memory : 4096 (2 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM)
Video Card : Gigabyte 9800 GTX+/ 1 Gb
HDD : Seagate 320 Gb
Operating System : Windows 7 Professional (x64)
Computer's Age : Bought 2 years ago
Video Driver : 197.45 (updated 5/20/2010)

now the problem is:
the problem only happens when he played a game. the first 3 or 5 minutes is fine. after that the graphic started to have some choppy black horizontal lines here and there, and it appears randomly. after 20 minutes of playing or so, the computer freezes, and the only thing we can do is reset.
oh yeah, at first start the gpu's temperature is 48 C, after about 15 minutes of playing it goes up to 60 C. my video card is Zotac GTS 250 1GB and it runs about 80 C while playing, and its all fine, so i'm not sure if this is a heat problem..

this is new to me, so please help?? :( :(

ninelivesproductions

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Well, Im sorry to tell you this but the GPU is overheating. What you guys are seeing are artifacts... these are geometry calculations that are wrong due to the fact that its getting to hot. 80C IS NOT normal for a GTS 250. You should be only going up to the high 60s MAX on that card.

Heres what to do:

1. Take the card out of the PCI slot, and clean out any dust that may be clogging up the Heatsink and Fan.

3. If that doesn't work, or there is not a significant amount of dust on the card try using the driver program that lets you control the fan speed, or if you cant find that... download a program that can such as
Speedfan (LINK: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php)

4. After downloading speedfan or figuring out how to control the fan speed, set it to 100% and monitor the temps.

5. If that doesn't work consider looking into whether your warrenty is still active.

Good Luck to you're friend and you!

coolkeeper

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
1. Take the card out of the PCI slot, and clean out any dust that may be clogging up the Heatsink and Fan.

this is actually the first thing i tried.. but still no luck. :(

5. If that doesn't work consider looking into whether your warrenty is still active.

My friend said : Please god no!! :cry: :cry:

we'll try the #3 and #4 solution.. i'll post the result here as soon as possible..

hope this works.. :)

coolkeeper

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
hey guys.. i'm terribly sorry for this very very late reply..

we have tried all the above solutions that you guys posted, but still no luck..
and after a closer look to the warranty, its still there. so we just rma'ed it.
the new item should arrive this wednessday.

i'll post the result again here

TRENDING THREADS