Room temperature

divac

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
My bedroom is way hotter than the rest of the house. Turning down the AC has limits since the rest of the house would complain.

Since I'm replacing my Core 2 Duo with Core i7 (Hotter?), is there anything I can do to keep the room temperature in check? (such as buying a good case or water cooling)

Solution
Water cooling or a good case won't actually keep your room temperature any lower, since regardless of the cooling you put in your computer, it will be putting about the same amount of heat into your room. It doesn't matter if you keep the CPU at 35 or 80 C (as far as the amount of heat dumped into the room is concerned) - the energy released is the same.
Water cooling or a good case won't actually keep your room temperature any lower, since regardless of the cooling you put in your computer, it will be putting about the same amount of heat into your room. It doesn't matter if you keep the CPU at 35 or 80 C (as far as the amount of heat dumped into the room is concerned) - the energy released is the same.

Solution
You can undervolt your CPU slightly to reduce power consumption, it can make a pretty significant difference, i do it when i am at home and it slows down how quickly the room heats up. But cjl is right, it doesnt matter what you use to cool your system, the totally energy released will be the same even though the temperatures may read lower.