Sign in with
Your question
Solved

2nd monitor fonts blurry after 5850 xfire!!!! What is GPU Scaling?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 21, 2010 2:24:16 AM

Hello all. I need some help and explanation!

I just crossfired 5850's today. My main monitor that i play games in is the Acer G24 (1920x1200 native res [dvi]) My 2nd monitor is Acer S243HL (1920x1080 native res [hdmi]) . Before the crossfire both my monitors was sharp and had very clear text. After i cross-fired it and updated the drivers i noticed my 2nd monitor fonts was very blurry and off while my Main monitor hadn't changed!!

It was driving me nuts, i finally had a way to fix it! i had to go to CCC and enable "GPU scaling" on the Acer S243HL.

1) IS this the correct and only way to fix my blurry-ness on my 2nd monitor?
2) Why did this happen after the cross-fire and updated drivers?
3) What exactly is GPU scaling?!?!?
4) What cons are with GPU scaling?
5) does it slow down my computer?

I'm so lost. i feel that after a not so needed crossfire upgrade i made my computer worse =*(

My Specs below:

Monitor 1: Acer G24 (DVI)
Monitor 2: Acer S243HL (HMDI)

Mobo: Asus P6X58D-E
CPU: i7930 LGA 1366
Memory: Corsair XMS3 6GB 1600mhz
GPU: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD5850 crossfire
PSU: Corsair TX 750TX
Case: Antec 900 (comes with two 120mm intake fans -med setting and rear 120mm exhaust and 200mm Exhaust fan on high setting)
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB
Case fan (intake): Thermal Take Smart X 2 (set on med. setting)
CPU cooler: Cooler Master
Hyper N520 (stk TP)
ODD: Phillpes x 22 (from previous computer
Keyboard: Logitech G110
Mouse: Razor Abyssus

Thanks all!
May 21, 2010 9:16:12 PM

any replies yet? pleaseeeee help!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2010 11:53:55 PM

1. Well if it works I'd be happy.
2. No idea really...
3. Well in terms of CrossFireX GPU scaling is when how well two GPUs or more work together in CFX, for example you get 100 FPS in a game with one HD 5850, in CFX if you get 150 FPS that's 50% scaling and 200 FPS would be 100% scaling which would be the theoretical max.
4. I don't know if that GPU scaling in CCC is what I'm talking about.
5. I can't answer that, have you seen any performance losses?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 22, 2010 4:41:52 AM

thanks for your reply Lmeow! but i'm still confused why this would happen after i x-fired my 5850's and updated my drivers.

with regards to GPU scaling in CCC, I really don't know what it means still.
sorry for being a newb.

with regards to performance issues..i haven't noticed a difference. but u never know right?

i'm just lost =(
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2010 2:55:56 PM

Ok, gpu scaling, what it does it scales the resolution to pair the monitor. Since your monitors has different native resolutions you should check the option and should be ok.

It is known to sometimes have problems when maximizing and minimizing in games, if everything is ok you are set.

No, it should not be the only way to fix the blurryness, I believe modern monitors can auto scale on their own through options.

Make sure you have the native resolutions of both monitors set at that resolutions through ATI CCC or windows display manager.

It does not slow your computer at all.
May 22, 2010 3:26:18 PM

Best answer selected by holunwing.
m
l
!