Sign in with
Your question

Computer won't post on reboot / restart

Last response: in Motherboards
March 28, 2011 6:35:07 PM

I have this odd problem, and I'm hoping someone here has had the same thing happen (and fixed it). My computer boots up fine. However, if you push the physical reset button or reset via Windows, the system will boot through to the bios setup menu (but you can't <del> into bios setup) and hang.

Here's my setup:

Thermaltake Dokker ATX case
Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
AMD Phenom II x6 1100T Black
MSI GTX560ti
Corsair 4GB XMS3 DDR3 1600
Coolermaster 700W Extreme power plus

No overclocking. ACPI Suspend Type is currently set to S3 (it was S1, but I changed it -- and it didn't reboot correctly with S1 either.)
a b V Motherboard
March 28, 2011 10:31:51 PM

The <esc> key does not get you into BIOS on the GA-890FXA-UD5. That key is for exiting submenus or exiting BIOS.
The <delete> key gets you into BIOS.
March 28, 2011 10:49:06 PM

I corrected my original post. I didn't have the machine on when I wrote it. I realize I'm probably unclear as to what the bios setup menu means, as well. I just mean the text that lists the options for getting into bios setup, changing boot order, etc.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
March 28, 2011 11:52:46 PM

Do you have a MB speaker attached? what beeps does it give you.

But I would suggest you test the components by removing them one at a time and boot. e.g., pull the GPU, boot. check the beeps (should be series of long beeps).
Pull the memory sticks one at a time and boot. (one long, one short is memory or MB)

a c 715 V Motherboard
March 29, 2011 12:04:39 AM

The only time you want to use the {Reset Button} is only if Windows hangs/freezes. If you also mean when you Restart {not Reset} it hangs then depending upon where it freezes it could be a Driver/Periphial causing a hang. However, that contradicts your statement "My computer boots up fine."

S1 & S3 are 'Sleep' modes and S3 is the best/lowest power option.

Also, there are 4 revisions for you MOBO - which is yours? - http://www.gigabyte.us/search/search.aspx?kw=GA-890FXA-...

BIOS:
3.1 FB minimum
3.0 FB " "
2.1 F6 latest only
2.0 F6 " "

Also, sometimes USB Keyboards are not always 'seen' with the BIOS or can be 'seen' sporadically. Try a PS/2 Keyboard.

You need to be a little more clear :) 
a c 105 V Motherboard
March 29, 2011 5:03:47 AM

If you press the rest button, on the next boot you're gonna get a screen that asks if you want to boot into safe mode or what ever. Is this what you're talking about? If so, this is normal right after an improper shutdown.
a b V Motherboard
March 29, 2011 10:07:12 AM

spooky2th said:
If you press the rest button, on the next boot you're gonna get a screen that asks if you want to boot into safe mode or what ever. Is this what you're talking about? If so, this is normal right after an improper shutdown.
Pressing and holding the reset button for 4 seconds causes a hard shutdown, but on reboot the system will start normally unless Windows is missing a .dll or .sys file, or, on my machine "F8" is pressed after POST.
!