Sign in with
Your question

I5 430M... quad or dual core?

Last response: in CPUs
August 27, 2010 3:47:07 AM

The last laptop I had was the same model as the one I have now. The last one had a bad HDD that failed just after one month and, with the warranty I replaced the lemon for a new one. The thing is that, well first Id like to say that my previous one had a 6.7 Windows live experience score of calculations per second, while with this new model I have only a 5.0 score. Some guys told me there was nothing wrong etc etc

But now that I think about it, I think I feel this laptop a little less faster that my previous one. Also, in the msconfig boot options to start Windows 7 with more cores, with my last lap I had the option to use 4 cores, while in this one only 2 cores appear. Both laptops have the same i5 430M CPU, what could be wrong? i5 is a quad or a dual core?

More about : 430m quad dual core

August 27, 2010 5:32:38 AM

TheGman_GL said:
Also, in the msconfig boot options to start Windows 7 with more cores, with my last lap I had the option to use 4 cores, while in this one only 2 cores appear. Both laptops have the same i5 430M CPU, what could be wrong? i5 is a quad or a dual core?

It's two cores with hyperthreading, so perhaps hyperthreading is disabled in the BIOS? Which would be dumb.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 244 D Laptop
August 27, 2010 6:25:03 AM

Open task manager>Performance tab, how many threads(CPU threads) do you see there? it should be 4.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 27, 2010 4:49:18 PM

Another way:

In the Device Manager window, click the plus (+) sign next to Processors. If Hyper-Threading is enabled, the processor is listed four times.
m
l
August 28, 2010 12:04:11 AM

Maziar said:
Open task manager>Performance tab, how many threads(CPU threads) do you see there? it should be 4.

I only see two CPU threads
m
l
August 28, 2010 12:05:39 AM

evongugg said:
Another way:

In the Device Manager window, click the plus (+) sign next to Processors. If Hyper-Threading is enabled, the processor is listed four times.

I have four CPUs listed
m
l
August 28, 2010 12:13:33 AM

MarkG said:
It's two cores with hyperthreading, so perhaps hyperthreading is disabled in the BIOS? Which would be dumb.

Now I remember... I updated my BIOS from 203 to 206...
m
l
August 28, 2010 1:25:38 AM

TheGman_GL said:
Now I remember... I updated my BIOS from 203 to 206...

The BIOS upgrade might have reset some settings; you should probably check that hyperthreading is still enabled.
m
l
August 30, 2010 10:37:24 PM

MarkG said:
The BIOS upgrade might have reset some settings; you should probably check that hyperthreading is still enabled.

Yeah, I looked for some hyper thread options on the BIOS but didn't find anything

m
l
September 2, 2010 12:18:07 AM

And the moral is?... DONT UPDATE YOUR DRIVERS, they will just screw with you. Made an extensive rollback drivers procedure and my CPU has a WLE of 6.6 again with the option to boot with 4 cores. (The drivers were official)
m
l
!