I5 430M... quad or dual core?

The last laptop I had was the same model as the one I have now. The last one had a bad HDD that failed just after one month and, with the warranty I replaced the lemon for a new one. The thing is that, well first Id like to say that my previous one had a 6.7 Windows live experience score of calculations per second, while with this new model I have only a 5.0 score. Some guys told me there was nothing wrong etc etc

But now that I think about it, I think I feel this laptop a little less faster that my previous one. Also, in the msconfig boot options to start Windows 7 with more cores, with my last lap I had the option to use 4 cores, while in this one only 2 cores appear. Both laptops have the same i5 430M CPU, what could be wrong? i5 is a quad or a dual core?
9 answers Last reply
More about 430m quad dual core
  1. TheGman_GL said:
    Also, in the msconfig boot options to start Windows 7 with more cores, with my last lap I had the option to use 4 cores, while in this one only 2 cores appear. Both laptops have the same i5 430M CPU, what could be wrong? i5 is a quad or a dual core?

It's two cores with hyperthreading, so perhaps hyperthreading is disabled in the BIOS? Which would be dumb.
  2. Open task manager>Performance tab, how many threads(CPU threads) do you see there? it should be 4.
  3. Another way:

In the Device Manager window, click the plus (+) sign next to Processors. If Hyper-Threading is enabled, the processor is listed four times.
  4. Maziar said:
    Open task manager>Performance tab, how many threads(CPU threads) do you see there? it should be 4.

I only see two CPU threads
  5. evongugg said:
    Another way:

In the Device Manager window, click the plus (+) sign next to Processors. If Hyper-Threading is enabled, the processor is listed four times.

I have four CPUs listed
  6. MarkG said:
    It's two cores with hyperthreading, so perhaps hyperthreading is disabled in the BIOS? Which would be dumb.

Now I remember... I updated my BIOS from 203 to 206...
  7. TheGman_GL said:
    Now I remember... I updated my BIOS from 203 to 206...

The BIOS upgrade might have reset some settings; you should probably check that hyperthreading is still enabled.
  8. MarkG said:
    The BIOS upgrade might have reset some settings; you should probably check that hyperthreading is still enabled.

Yeah, I looked for some hyper thread options on the BIOS but didn't find anything
  9. And the moral is?... DONT UPDATE YOUR DRIVERS, they will just screw with you. Made an extensive rollback drivers procedure and my CPU has a WLE of 6.6 again with the option to boot with 4 cores. (The drivers were official)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Laptops