Tags:
  • SSD
  • Games
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
August 24, 2012 5:10:33 PM

Hi everyone,

I just got a new Kingston HyperX 3K for OS and games. Right now I only have my old hard drive installed with everything on it. I want to do a clean install of Windows 7 on the SSD, then wipe JUST the OS (windows 7) from my old HDD. Then I'm going to do the mklink thing to put games on my SSD. Is there any way do delete only the OS on my HDD without wiping the entire thing?

More about : ssd

Best solution

August 24, 2012 6:07:21 PM

Does your SSD have the space to keep all of your files? Not including game installs and the like - just the files you need to keep: IE pictures, documents, etc. Or is the SSD too small to do that? If your SSD is too small you can burn the files to DVDs or borrow/buy an external backup HDD. The reason I recommend copying them off is because you'll be re-formatting your current HDD to remove windows and that leaves nothing on the drive.
August 24, 2012 6:13:36 PM

Yeah it's too small. I decided to make a partition and put everything on it except for windows. Then once the SSD is installed I'll just put what I want on it and delete windows on my old hard drive.
m
l
Related resources
August 24, 2012 6:16:04 PM

Tunak Tunak Tun said:
Yeah it's too small. I decided to make a partition and put everything on it except for windows. Then once the SSD is installed I'll just put what I want on it and delete windows on my old hard drive.

That'll work too. I never even thought of doing that myself.
m
l
August 25, 2012 2:56:25 AM

It didn't work. Somehow everything got corrupted and I lost the entire drive
m
l
September 4, 2012 9:58:14 PM

Best answer selected by Tunak Tunak Tun.
m
l
!