Sign in with
Your question

Transfer data from old HDD to new pc

Last response: in Storage
August 24, 2012 6:20:28 PM

Hello all, I was wondering if there is a device that would allow me to externally connect my old sata hard drive to a new computer via usb or such and transfer files across in windows (as in the device would come up when I click on my computer and I could just drag and drop the files over)

More about : transfer data hdd

a b G Storage
August 24, 2012 6:37:28 PM

Indeed there is. You actually have two options. One is called an external enclosure, and the other is called a drive dock. The drive docks are a little less permanent, as will become quite obvious when you see one, so you can decide which is the better option for you.
Related resources
August 24, 2012 6:49:19 PM

google "SATA to USB"
or "IDE to USB 2.0", its cheaper, but more for temporarily setup
August 24, 2012 7:08:03 PM

Thank you all, was only looking for a temporary setup to copy some data and games so the cheaper option looks good.

Thanks again :) 
a b G Storage
August 24, 2012 10:20:04 PM

I personally like to have at least one external enclosure around. Never know when it may come in handy for just this sort of thing.

And that item you linked would work, but it's a 3.5", so for a desktop. You didn't say whether you were looking to transfer stuff from a desktop or laptop, but laptops would be 2.5" and the SATA connections are a little different from 3.5", so make sure to get the one you need.
!