Sign in with
Your question

Help with the choosing SSD+HDD combo

Last response: in Storage
August 24, 2012 6:39:57 PM

Hi everyone.
I'm planning upgrading my PC's Hard Drive (I'm still on 1xIDE (ATA) 160Gb + 1xUSB 2.0 500Gb). So I want to get 2 more new HDDs (obviously SATA III), to have about 1.5-2+TB of memory. When I started to search I knew, that in my country the cheapest SATA III HDD with 7200rpm and 64Mb buffer size has at list 500Gb of memory, so, as I wanted to have some one for system only, I started to looking for the SSDs. After all, I found nice one from Kingston and from Intel (Kingston's is about 15$ cheaper). They Both have 64Gb memory size. So there is my question: what should i choose: Kingston SSD & 2 TB SATA III HDD, or Intel SSD & 1-1.5TB SATA III HDD. I just buying SSD at the first time, and some of my friends, said, that I should use only Intel products, cause another SSD always braking up, instead of them.
Please help! I don't care about brands, I just wanna have good SSD for system and nothing more!
P.S. Sorry for my bad English

More about : choosing ssd hdd combo

a c 128 G Storage
August 25, 2012 4:59:55 AM

I noticed you are currently using an IDE drive. Will your computer (motherboard) support a SATA drive? By this I mean does you motherboard have SATA connectors or will you need to install a SATA card to support the drives? More information about your computer would be helpful in answering this question. For example, what is the brand and model of your computer?
August 25, 2012 10:29:15 AM

kenrivers said:
I noticed you are currently using an IDE drive. Will your computer (motherboard) support a SATA drive? By this I mean does you motherboard have SATA connectors or will you need to install a SATA card to support the drives? More information about your computer would be helpful in answering this question. For example, what is the brand and model of your computer?

Yes, I got new Motherboard with 6xSATA III connectors. Also now I have 1xIDE, 4xSATA II and 2xSATA III connectors, so i don't need to worry about it
a c 128 G Storage
August 25, 2012 3:34:12 PM

I am using Intel SSDs in a desktop and laptop and have been pleased with the performance thus far. I did have trouble with a Kingston drive and replaced it with an Intel drive. In all fairness I am able to use the Kingston drive for extra storage. As for the other drive I personally prefer Western Digital drives.
!