Best laptop for 3D OpenGL graphics?

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • 3D
  • Graphics
  • OpenGL
Last response: in Laptop General Discussion
Share
October 29, 2004 9:37:54 AM

I want to use a laptop for use with AutoCAD and Solidworks. What are the
best choices in laptops for such applications?

More about : laptop opengl graphics

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 29, 2004 5:53:05 PM

knack <zok9NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I want to use a laptop for use with AutoCAD and Solidworks. What are
> the best choices in laptops for such applications?

An IBM Thinkpad T42p with the 15" UXGA-IPS display. Or, if your vision isn't
up to working with a UXGA display, one of the other T4X models with a 14.1"
SXGA+ display.

I'm running AutoCad 2000 on my PentiumM 1.5GHz Thinkpad T40 with a 14.1" XGA
display because that's about all my aged eyes can handle, but it works just
fine and is blazingly fast with a 7K60 HD and 1.5MB RAM.

I used AutoCad 13 for years on my venerable PIII 850MHz Thinkpad 600X with a
13.3" XGA display.

--
Regards,

James

October 29, 2004 10:25:14 PM

I saw a Compaq Presario 3200 with 15" display, 512MB DDR memory, 802.11 b/g
wireless LAN w/ 125HSM/SpeedBooster(TM), for only $1000 at Costco. Here's
the details about its graphics chip:

Intel(R) Extreme Graphics 2 offers realistic 3D and 2D graphics, delivering
real-life environment and character effects. Utilizing the Intel(R) chipset,
these graphics deliver intense and realistic graphics with sharp images and
enables balanced memory usage between graphics and system for optimal system
performance.

Is this laptop fast enough for 3D OpenGL images that have simple smooth
surfaces?

"knack" <zok9NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I want to use a laptop for use with AutoCAD and Solidworks. What are the
> best choices in laptops for such applications?

a b D Laptop
October 29, 2004 10:25:15 PM

Definitely not a system for doing 3D graphics.

dk

> I saw a Compaq Presario 3200 with 15" display, 512MB DDR memory, 802.11
b/g
> wireless LAN w/ 125HSM/SpeedBooster(TM), for only $1000 at Costco. Here's
> the details about its graphics chip:
>
> Intel(R) Extreme Graphics 2 offers realistic 3D and 2D graphics,
delivering
> real-life environment and character effects. Utilizing the Intel(R)
chipset,
> these graphics deliver intense and realistic graphics with sharp images
and
> enables balanced memory usage between graphics and system for optimal
system
> performance.
>
> Is this laptop fast enough for 3D OpenGL images that have simple smooth
> surfaces?
>
> "knack" <zok9NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I want to use a laptop for use with AutoCAD and Solidworks. What are the
> > best choices in laptops for such applications?

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 30, 2004 4:38:14 AM

"Knack" <zok9NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I saw a Compaq Presario 3200 with 15" display, 512MB DDR memory, 802.11 b/g
> wireless LAN w/ 125HSM/SpeedBooster(TM), for only $1000 at Costco. Here's
> the details about its graphics chip:
>
> Intel(R) Extreme Graphics 2 offers realistic 3D and 2D graphics,
> delivering
> real-life environment and character effects. Utilizing the Intel(R)
> chipset,
> these graphics deliver intense and realistic graphics with sharp images
> and
> enables balanced memory usage between graphics and system for optimal
> system
> performance.
>
> Is this laptop fast enough for 3D OpenGL images that have simple smooth
> surfaces?

NO. Intel Extreme Graphics doesn't come close -- it might run slow, or you
might get errors and crashes. There are are a lot of machines out there now
with dedicated graphics cards. Go for one of them.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 1, 2004 12:31:31 PM

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 05:37:54 +0000, knack wrote:

> I want to use a laptop for use with AutoCAD and Solidworks. What are the
> best choices in laptops for such applications?

I'd guess a laptop with an ATI FireGL T2 card would be a safe bet, those
are "certified for the leading OpenGL and DirectX applications" :p  ...
http://www.ati.com/products/mobilityfglt2/
http://www.ati.com/products/fireglt2-128/

Found in the IBM Thinkpad T42, R50, and some HP's I think.

Regards,
Kristian
!