Best laptop for 3D OpenGL graphics?

I want to use a laptop for use with AutoCAD and Solidworks. What are the
best choices in laptops for such applications?
5 answers Last reply
More about best laptop opengl graphics

    knack <zok9NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > I want to use a laptop for use with AutoCAD and Solidworks. What are
    > the best choices in laptops for such applications?

    An IBM Thinkpad T42p with the 15" UXGA-IPS display. Or, if your vision isn't
    up to working with a UXGA display, one of the other T4X models with a 14.1"
    SXGA+ display.

    I'm running AutoCad 2000 on my PentiumM 1.5GHz Thinkpad T40 with a 14.1" XGA
    display because that's about all my aged eyes can handle, but it works just
    fine and is blazingly fast with a 7K60 HD and 1.5MB RAM.

    I used AutoCad 13 for years on my venerable PIII 850MHz Thinkpad 600X with a
    13.3" XGA display.

    --
    Regards,

    James

    I saw a Compaq Presario 3200 with 15" display, 512MB DDR memory, 802.11 b/g
    wireless LAN w/ 125HSM/SpeedBooster(TM), for only $1000 at Costco. Here's
    the details about its graphics chip:

    Intel(R) Extreme Graphics 2 offers realistic 3D and 2D graphics, delivering
    real-life environment and character effects. Utilizing the Intel(R) chipset,
    these graphics deliver intense and realistic graphics with sharp images and
    enables balanced memory usage between graphics and system for optimal system
    performance.

    Is this laptop fast enough for 3D OpenGL images that have simple smooth
    surfaces?

    "knack" <zok9NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I want to use a laptop for use with AutoCAD and Solidworks. What are the
    > best choices in laptops for such applications?

    Definitely not a system for doing 3D graphics.

    dk

    > I saw a Compaq Presario 3200 with 15" display, 512MB DDR memory, 802.11
    b/g
    > wireless LAN w/ 125HSM/SpeedBooster(TM), for only $1000 at Costco. Here's
    > the details about its graphics chip:
    >
    > Intel(R) Extreme Graphics 2 offers realistic 3D and 2D graphics,
    delivering
    > real-life environment and character effects. Utilizing the Intel(R)
    chipset,
    > these graphics deliver intense and realistic graphics with sharp images
    and
    > enables balanced memory usage between graphics and system for optimal
    system
    > performance.
    >
    > Is this laptop fast enough for 3D OpenGL images that have simple smooth
    > surfaces?
    >
    > "knack" <zok9NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I want to use a laptop for use with AutoCAD and Solidworks. What are the
    > > best choices in laptops for such applications?

    "Knack" <zok9NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I saw a Compaq Presario 3200 with 15" display, 512MB DDR memory, 802.11 b/g
    > wireless LAN w/ 125HSM/SpeedBooster(TM), for only $1000 at Costco. Here's
    > the details about its graphics chip:
    >
    > Intel(R) Extreme Graphics 2 offers realistic 3D and 2D graphics,
    > delivering
    > real-life environment and character effects. Utilizing the Intel(R)
    > chipset,
    > these graphics deliver intense and realistic graphics with sharp images
    > and
    > enables balanced memory usage between graphics and system for optimal
    > system
    > performance.
    >
    > Is this laptop fast enough for 3D OpenGL images that have simple smooth
    > surfaces?

    NO. Intel Extreme Graphics doesn't come close -- it might run slow, or you
    might get errors and crashes. There are are a lot of machines out there now
    with dedicated graphics cards. Go for one of them.

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 05:37:54 +0000, knack wrote:

    > I want to use a laptop for use with AutoCAD and Solidworks. What are the
    > best choices in laptops for such applications?

    I'd guess a laptop with an ATI FireGL T2 card would be a safe bet, those
    are "certified for the leading OpenGL and DirectX applications" :P ...
    http://www.ati.com/products/mobilityfglt2/
    http://www.ati.com/products/fireglt2-128/

    Found in the IBM Thinkpad T42, R50, and some HP's I think.

    Regards,
    Kristian

Laptops 3D Graphics OpenGL