Looking for a fan to keep temperature down.

vintage

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
I recent bought a new GPU and PSU, and this has created a potential overheating problem. I have been monitoring the temperatures of my CPU and GPU and they have been at acceptable levels, but I still do not want to take a chance.

Here is a picture showing my setup. I have Q6600, a GTX 460, and a 600w 600w OCZ ModXStream Pro.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v615/beatboxer203/helpme.jpg

I have numbered the items in the picture. 1 is the GPU, 2 is the CPU, 3 is the PSU, 4 is the ventilation area. Blue and yellow circles indicate potential locations for a fan. The purple arrow indicates where I want the air to flow. The red arrows indicate the direction the heat is travelling from the GPU and PSU fans. Correct me if I am wrong but the GPU's fans blow it to the right, and the PSU's fan blows it to the left.

My dilemma here is that my old PSU blew the heat out the side where the power cord plugging into it is. This new one blows the heat back inside the case which is bad.

My question is will installing a small 80mm fan remedy this situation? If so, what fans do you recommend. I figure if I install the fan so it blows air towards the ventilation it will work out. I bought this fan out of haste but I have not yet opened it so I won't have problems returning it if you guys say it won't be adequate.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketfish%26%23153%3B+-+80mm+Case+Fan/9462627.p?skuId=9462627&id=1218108989651

Also here are some close ups of the insides. The first pic shows a close up by the CPU and the second is a close up by the ventilation. I included them so it would be easier for you guys to see inside and tell me which spot would be better to place the fan. I am looking to spend around 20 dollars or less.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v615/beatboxer203/002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v615/beatboxer203/003.jpg

Solution
It would be helpful to know your current idle and peak temps.

Also you indicate in your picture that your PSU is blowing hot air into your case... this is... not the case. The fan on your PSU in an intake, it pulls air into the PSU enclosure and exhausts it out the vented area where the plug is. I'm not awair of a PSU that has a fan that pulls air in to the enclosure from out side the case unless it's put in backwards.

Again I'd ask for your idle and peak temps. If you really have a cooling problem usually an extra INTAKE fan can solve the problem. If you don't have any intake fans in the front of your case a 120mm at the bottom front of the case, in front of the HDs, can solve this.

runningbot

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
It would be helpful to know your current idle and peak temps.

Also you indicate in your picture that your PSU is blowing hot air into your case... this is... not the case. The fan on your PSU in an intake, it pulls air into the PSU enclosure and exhausts it out the vented area where the plug is. I'm not awair of a PSU that has a fan that pulls air in to the enclosure from out side the case unless it's put in backwards.

Again I'd ask for your idle and peak temps. If you really have a cooling problem usually an extra INTAKE fan can solve the problem. If you don't have any intake fans in the front of your case a 120mm at the bottom front of the case, in front of the HDs, can solve this.

Solution

vintage

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Okay I edited my post to fix the first picture because the one I linked didn't show the circles or the arrows. Are you guys sure it sucks the air in? I could of sworn it was blowing the air out as I didn't see a fan to push it out where the plug is. If I am incorrect then do I even need an extra fan in there?

My current idle temp for my GTX 460 is 37c and my idle temp for the 4 cores of my Q6600 are 39, 44, 36, 36. The highest any of the CPU cores have reached is 56c and the GPU has reached about 60ish. I have only been playing COH (maxed out) but that is an old game. I haven't tried BC2 yet or SC2 yet.

runningbot

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Your temps are fine. In fact they are quite good. And YES we are sure the fan on the PSU in sucking INTO the psu. If you don't believe me take a coffee filter and cut out a thin strip. Hold the strip above the fan. If it is sucked towards the fan I win, if not you have a defective PSU fan.

I'd say your fine.

vintage

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Okay I believe you guys I just wanted to be absolutely sure. I am not the brightest when it comes to computers (although I am learning). Do you think I should install this 10 dollar 80mm fan I bought at bestbuy (linked in the op) or should I just return it? If you do suggest installing it should I put it up against the ventilation (yellow circle by number 4 in the picture) or in front of the cpu (blue circle).

Basically will it make a difference at all or is it completely unnecessary. Also thank you very much for your replies, every time I post a question on this site I get immediate replies. I truly appreciate this.