Sign in with
Your question

2nd build has not gone well, PSU problems. Need advice

Last response: in Systems
June 29, 2010 3:53:15 AM

My 2nd build has been a disaster. Anyway to recover this mess? When I boot up I get nothing but a blank screen. fans run but thats it. Case has no speaker so can't tell by beeps.

Components:
ASUS mini-itx AT3GC-I with an intel atom CPU (330). Integrated GPU
2GB memory
2 WD hard drives WD15EARS
1 CPU/case fan controller

I recently built a mini-itx system but the case PSU went bad so I had to get something (I confirmed by connecting an ATX PSU that board was fine). After building my system I confirmed I was pulling between 45-50 watts when at idle.

I decided on a pico-PSU 120 watt. My problems:
** #1: main connector is 20pin but the mobo has a 24pin connector. The pico guy said it's ok due to low power CPU
** #2: I then totally forgot about the other 4 pin mobo connector (the separate one from the main).

So is this just a problem of not enough power being supplied to mobo?

If so, can I just get a molex Y-adapter and connect a 4-pin adapter to that add the extra 4-pin power to the mobo?

Can I do the same with the main connector or should I not bother with that?

Can I even split it further if I need to add a component?

I'm so frustrated and my wife is ready to toss this in the garbage!

thanks for any assistance.

June 30, 2010 3:39:29 AM

bump. anyone?
June 30, 2010 4:03:35 AM

There is more to a PSU than just wattage.

You need to figure out how many 12V amps your system will need than get a PSU that will supply that. Your Pico-PSU can probably supply about 84W or 7 amps 12V power (continuous). The rest of the "120W" is 3.3V and 5V.

If that is really enough, then yes you can buy an adapter for the 4-pin CPU power and you can also buy a 20-to-24-pin adapter (Though I think the extra 4 pins are redundant power and not required).
!