Missing space on SSD

mr_fruitbowl

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
I keep losing a lot of space on my SSD.

If I open my C drive and select all folders it seems to account to 41.9 GB.
Yet I right click on the drive itself I get 54.3 GB.....where is this extra space being used?

All I have installed is Windows 7/VLC/Drivers/Visual Studio 2010.

Sq8sL.png

Did you look under the desk?

But seriously, folks. There are a number of known places that it could be. The most well-known is the system restore points. There are also page and hiber files, but these would show in your properties test.

You could go look at your system restore settings and see how much room the checkpoints are allowed to take up. If you do frequent backups, you can reduce this to zero.

you could also download a tool called WinDirStat. Run as administrator, and with the check box to show hidden space checked, it will give you an accurate picture. Play around with either expanding the top section or clicking on the groups and infinite subgroups in the bottom picture.

Not sure if the indexing space will show in properties or not. I am an SSD indexer, myself, but that puts me in a minority.

Let us know what you see.

mr_fruitbowl

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
Thanks for the response.

When I first setup my SSD I read a guide on here. So I turned off system restore/defragging/paging/moved as much of my docs/system files to my second drive as I could.
I should also mention that the images where taken after Disk Cleanup was run. I also cleared out my Chrome history/cookies as I know this can sometimes become quite large.

I'll download the tool you suggested and hopefully get a clear picture of where the space is going.

eddiesaunders

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

I have 2 x 120Gb ssd here one in an i3 based PC and the other in an i7 based PC, I have all my usual programs installed and I have in use only 20Gb of space on each of the SSDs.

The information as given in http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds may hold the key to where your ssd space has gone, you may find that Visual Studio 2010 has re-enabled the page file again, I think from what you have said you may be running 12Gb of ram in your PC, as this seems the size difference you are seeing.

Cheers Eddie