MSI P67A-GD65 vs ASUS P8P67

keto6789

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Hi.

I'm gonna be building a Win 7 machine with a i52500k. Should I go MSI or ASUS? The ASUS P8P67's are not available at the moment on Newegg, so I'm wondering about the MSI P67A-GD65. Is it a good board? I'm not a gamer or overclocker, I'm more of a multi-tasker.

Hmm...if you're multi-tasking then you want a good multi-tasking CPU like the i7-2600 series, and if you don't OC then why get a 'K' series.

The MSI P67A-GD65 is a 6+2 phase and poor match for any 'K' CPU, and the vanilla ASUS P8P67 is 12+2 phase.

So if your Apps can utilize Hyper-Threading then clearly the i7-2600, and if you go the 'K' then you want 8+2 phase or greater. Phases are in integral part of 'longevity' whether you OC or not, and unlike the i7-9XX{except 980X} where 16+2 is considered the minimum the SB 32nm are more efficient. Think of it like placing 50% on a bulb or 25% -- which lasts longer. Next, if you do decide to OC then 12+2 or more phases is a 'good idea.'

Q - What needs do you have and what other components are you looking at for this system?

keto6789

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Hi Jaquith. I'm the guy you were helping most of the day the a couple days ago. I'm just gonna build a fast pc and I'm not a gamer. I'm just trying to narrow down a board to get for a Win 7 build. When I say "multitasker", I just mean I multitask lightly, not for work or anything like that. You recommended that I go with the i5 2500k a couple days ago, so I'm trying to find a board for it.

You also told me I should go with the ASUS P8P67 Pro, but I'm not sure I really need the "Pro" version and I can't get it on Newegg anyways. Newegg does have the MSI G65, but I heard a few negatives about it.

My system is gonna have 1 vid card.
Maybe and ssd way off in the future for a main drive

I don't get the whole "phase" thing yet.

ANy boards that are on Newegg now that you would recommend for ME (a non-gamer, light multitasker, downloader)

I'd like to stay under $200, but could go slightly higher.

thanks Jaquith.

Then it's good to get more opinions - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/288896-30-help-deciding-mobos-please yeah I remember now. My answers are still the same and consistent.

ASUS P8P67 PRO - because you keep MOBOs for a very longtime, and the conclusion was after many Q&A. We oscillated between the P8P67 PRO & P8P67. Good 'stuff' lasts.

Phases is the MOBO's regulated power for it's components. The best analogy is the Bulb burning, burning at 80% will work for a while then poof and 20% very longtime and eventually same poof. Components life is dependent on use and strain - globally to all components.