Audio CD burning attempts resulting in BSOD

embryo 3

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2012
I’m having a serious problem with burning audio CDs. My system specifications are the following:

System specifications:
• ASUS Sabertooth Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel MB
• Plextor M3 Series PX-256M3 2.5" 256GB SATA III Internal SSD (C drive)
• PC Power and Cooling Silencer 910W High Performance 80PLUS Silver SLI CrossFire ready PS
• EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
• Intel Core I7 2700K 3.5 Gb CPU
• CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9
• ASUS DRW-24B1ST c DVD burner
• COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 with an additional COOLER MASTER R4-BMBS-20PK-R0 Blade Master 120mm case fan attached for push-pull
• COOLER MASTER CM Storm Series Trooper (SGC-5000-KKN1) Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case with three additional fans (1 bottom and 2 side)
• Addition storage divices:
o 2 Seagate Barracuda 7200 1 TB 7200 RPM SATA 3Gb/s 32MB Cache 3.5” internal hard drives (ST31000528AS)
o 2 Seagate Barracuda 7200 250 GB 7200 RPM 8 MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" internal hard drives (ST3250310AS)
• MS Windows 7 Professional (64)
• MS Office 10 Professional
• Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
• Logitech Wireless Trackball M570
• Asus VS238H-P 23-Inch Full-HD LED monitor

The ASUS DRW-24B1ST c DVD burner was received about mid-April and the build was completed about late April. I tested the burner several times, including just a few minutes ago:
• it will read data CDs; and,
• it will read music CDs.

When I load a blank TDK CD-R (52X) disc, Windows media player pops up. My Computer indicates the drive with an icon―a disc with a musical note superimposed on it. It also indicates “631 MB free of 702 MB”, even though it is a fresh disc.

Several times, I’ve tried to burn an audio disc using both DAK WAV & MP3 Editor PRO v7.1b and Roxio Creator 9 Home v9.0.546. In both cases: the software indicates the start of the burn; and the drive shows a blinking light, which continues for about a couple of minutes. However, also in both cases, a “blue screen of death results”. The first time this happened, the boot priority may have been changed from my SSD being first and the DRW-24B1ST being second, to the reverse. I was able to get into BIO and restore the boot order and get into Windows. In subsequent burn attempts, that problem wasn’t repeated. However, in all attempts I cannot eject the CD and the green activity light of the burner just keeps blinking. The only way I can eject the CD is to shut down the computer completely…

I don’t know if this is related, but my computer screen went black and after about a minute turned off. I kept moving the trackball on my Logitech Wireless Trackball M570 and the computer restarted and I was able to re-enter Windows. It acted like it went into hibernation, even though I was composing this request for help. As the computer was re-starting, I quickly ejected the CD and left the tray open. (Perhaps I’m getting superstitious.)

Anyway, as I was describing… The only way I can eject the CD after the system crashes is to shut down the computer completely, restart it, and immediately press the eject button on the burner.

Remarkably, I have been able to burn an audio CD with Windows Media Player.

I have been unsuccessful in burning a data CD using Roxio Creator 9 Home v9.0.546. I've also been unable to burn a data CD by dragging the data file to the device in My Computer. (On another computer, I’ve burned numerous CDs by using Windows, “Write to disc”.)

I have checked to see if I have the most current drivers for the burner and Windows confirms I do.

Windows “Device Manager” indicates the device is working properly (which I know may not mean a whole lot). Also, burner “Properties” indicates the device is working properly. However, burner properties shows 98 of 702 MB of space is “Used”, even though there is no disc present. (I’ve left the tray out.)

Initially, I thought the burner was bad, but now I’m not so sure. Any ideas as to what’s going on? Is Window Media Player the source of the problems?

Thanks a lot for ANY assistance you can provide.

Solution
Hi,

I had a costumer that had that kind of problem.

It is because a program is interfering with roxio.

If I recall it was nero incd .

After uninstalling it, the computer didin't bsod anymore.

In your case might be another program though but probably related to burning cd /dvd's
Hi,

I had a costumer that had that kind of problem.

It is because a program is interfering with roxio.

If I recall it was nero incd .

After uninstalling it, the computer didin't bsod anymore.

In your case might be another program though but probably related to burning cd /dvd's

Solution

embryo 3

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2012
Thanks for the tip. (I remember the trick from many years ago. Actually, I just tried it wth and without a disc; and it didn't trigger ejection. Does it only work if there is a malfunction?)

The primary problem are the inability to burn CDs using different software and for different formats, without crashing my computer.

embryo 3

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2012

Are you aware if there are issues with Windows Media Player taking control of burning CDs/DVDs? Why does My Computer automatically indicate an audio/music CD when I load a fresh empty CD?

embryo 3

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2012

I tried the connect-disconnect ODD approach. Didn't solve problem. I also tried FixIt and that didn't solve the problem. However, I was inspired by your suggestion and I uninstalled the DAK and Roxio software. I discovered I could then burn both data and audio CDs with Windows tools. (I also change Windows 7 Autoplay settings to "Ask me every time".) I then re-installed the DAK software and tried the CD-burning tool I had used before. The system crashed. So then I knew at least one source of the problem. DAK e-mailed me a suggestion for one of their alternative CD-burning tools. I tried it and it works just fine. I'm now back in business. I haven't tried Roxio yet. I'm not terribly inclined to experiment right now, since I've finally got my system working right.

Thank a lot for your help!