Sign in with
Your question

Is there a way to retrieve data from a disk if windows 7 reformated the disk

Last response: in Storage
August 25, 2012 12:44:12 AM

Someone saved files to a disk on a computer running windows XP. When they loaded the disk into a new computer running windows 7 it asked if they would like to use the disk as a data storage device or a DVD (something on those lines anyway). They selected as data staorge device and Windows 7 reformated the disk and it appears the files that were on the disk have been deleted.

Is there any way to retrieve these files?
October 25, 2012 8:13:50 PM

kjt1980 said:
Someone saved files to a disk on a computer running windows XP. When they loaded the disk into a new computer running windows 7 it asked if they would like to use the disk as a data storage device or a DVD (something on those lines anyway). They selected as data staorge device and Windows 7 reformated the disk and it appears the files that were on the disk have been deleted.

Is there any way to retrieve these files?

YES!
Providing that you have not written data to that drive following the FORMAT.

download "file scavenger" from SnapFiles.com then install it. Purchase the license $49.95 plus tax. Install the license and run the program.

Be sure to have another drive available with enough space to put the recovered data prior to rewriting it to the accidentally formatted drive from which you have recovered the data. This gives you a chance to look at the data to make sure it is still good.

Select the option "do not recover DELETED data files" This means data files you deleted prior to the accidental formatting of the drive.

Good luck! I just used it following my accidental formatting of two of my data HDDs on my system. I recovered all data.

Lane
m
l
Related resources
!