Solved

Phenom II X3 720 BE vs Athlon II X3 440 (Good 4th core)

Hey all, I recently bought an Athlon II X3 440 (3ghz) for a midrange gaming rig (SC2 and FF14) and I was lucky enough to have a good 4th core. But my friend just upgraded and gifted me a Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition (2.8Ghz) with a bad 4th core. I'm wondering which is better. I have a Cooler Master Hyper TX3 cooler for the system and am planning to OC.

Thanks!
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about phenom athlon good core
  1. Since you have both. Why worry. What are you planning to do with the 720BE? Ideally the 720BE is a better processor for me.

And for OC'ing definitely the 720BE.
  2. As said by hell_storm already, the Phenom II 720 BE is a better processor.. However, since you've successfully unlocked the 4th core of your current CPU, you are potentially running a quad core which is good anyday.. So, i'd recommend you to stick with your current unlocked CPU..
  3. Personally I would run whichever gives you the best speed. Cores are not as critical for a gaming rig as raw speed.
  4. Best answer
    Well, for now, not all games make use of the 4-th core, so let's say that a 3-core CPU is "ideal" for gaming at this moment. I would probably choose the X3 720 if you're gaming only, due to the larger cache (6MB L3 vs 2MB L3).

But if you can't live w/o multitasking, then stay with the "x3" 440, as the unlocked 4-th core could make a large difference in multitasking.
  5. Best answer selected by g33j.
  6. ty:)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core Phenom