New computer, glitchy startup

G

hey,

here are the specs for my first build:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955
Mobo: GA 970XTA-UD4
RAM: Corsair 1333 DDR3 4GB
PSU: Corsair 650W (forgot model number, but relatively high quality, 5 stars on newegg)
Graphics: MSI ATI Radeon 5750
Case: Antec 100 Black

So, I put the pc together, and it boots up and can be used without problems, when it does. However, once every other day or so, I get times where I just can't boot my PC up. I would push the power button, bios comes up, then I get loading operating system, then the "loading windows" logo comes out, and half way through my system just restarts. this goes on over and over and over again if I don't stop it. pressing the reset switch does not solve the problem.

i found that the only way to solve the problem is to hold the power button to get the computer to completely shut off. then when i try again, everything works. it seems that i need to once fully shut the machine down when this happens to fix the problem. but it just comes back later on.

any idea what is wrong?

thanks,

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
@abswindows7:
Before accusing people of piracy, please make sure that they do pirate first..I have built so many PCs and tried many copies of win7, some of them RC and genuine and yes some are pirated, and none of them caused the issues the OP and you discribed!! I was even told once that there is a pirated win7 version that passes the genuine verification and can be updated !!

@bbman213 :
This needs some troubleshooting steps, I prefer if you do them in the same order:
1-Update windows as well as your gpu, audio and chipdet drivers
2-Go to msconfig/ startup and disable the non-essential software that starts with windows
3-Manually set the bios options to the ram specs (voltage and timings) enlisted by corsair
4-Try 1 stick of ram in all 4 slots
5-If you changed anything in the bios other than the ram settings revert them to default
6-Update the mobo bios
7-Reformat and install windows with only core drivers, and see if it's a software conflict
8-If everything fails and the issue persists, you'll need to test each piece of H/W you have in another system.

I think I covered many things..If anyhting else comes in my mind I'll post ASAP..Please keep us updated!

abswindows7

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009

My friend had the same problem as this buddy and I made some research and I found that it was either a virus or a windows issue ( he had an updated pirated version ) Ran multiple test with avg, bitdefender and avast. No virus.

Guess what ?

FORMAT xD

G

first of all, my windows is not pirated. i get it free from my university, so there is no reason for me to pirate.

i have run memtest on this system before, but only for 1 pass. i got impatient because it seems to take forever >< haha. i will give that another try. will try the other suggestions too, i will let you know if i discover anything new.

meanwhile, please continue with the suggestions if you have any, just thought i'd let everyone know that i'm not pirating.

abswindows7

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
Alright ! I was wrong ! Now try 8 passes of mem test because my friend just came back yesterday and the same problem happens. Looks like it is either the ram or the hard drive but his smart control says it 98% okay so mem test 8 passes I'll come back here post if it sovled the problem