Psu dead confused bout replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

david100k

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Hi to anyone thats read this. I hate asking for help but i cannot continue my research after reading many guides about psu reading forums im more confused now.

I need to replace my psu it died it was a ocz 550 gaming one. Here is my setup
1x ide drive
1xcdrom drive
4x sata 1.5tb raid
2x usb external hard drives
plus a hand full of usb stuff like keyboard mouse printer camera
CPU intel core2duo e6400 i think overclocked from 2.4 to 3.15 to 3.5 depending on season.
XFI sound card
video HIS HD5770 1gb
8gb ram

in the future im planning on replacing the cpu and mobo i was thinking a 750watt might be a good choise for me.

I can get my hand on some
Antec
XIGMATEK
THERMALTAKE
OCZ

Here is a few examples of prices

XIGMATEK NRP-PC702 700W - 85% EFFICIENCY / 140MM FAN $81.00
OCZ 700 POWER SLI MODULAR RB #OCZ700MXSP 79.99
OCZ 850POWER XSTREAM SLI RB#OCZ850GXSSLI 99.99
THERMALTAKE 750W MODULAR 14CM FAN, ATX 12V 2.3, 4X PCI-E, 7X 97.39
Antec EarthWatts 750 -ATX12V 2.3 - AC 100-240 V - 750 Watt - active PFC - United States 118.91
Just a few example i can also order from newegg.ca

Thanks for your help guys

Solution
Hello David,

To start out of those choices Antec would be the best route. I also would recommend using Seasonic or Corsair if those ae available to you on Newegg.ca. Reasons for those suggestions can be found in this article Tom's published a few days ago: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/psu-manufacturer-oem,2729.html

Also here is a link to a PSU calculator that will give you a good idea on how much power you system will require, just a tool to help easy your worries: http://www.antec.outervision.com/

With that said you could most likey run your system on a nice 500w-600w PSU, any higher will just give you extra headroom. Here is a good option I have found for you on Newegg.ca:

CORSAIR Builder Series CMPSU-600CX 600W...

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hello David,

To start out of those choices Antec would be the best route. I also would recommend using Seasonic or Corsair if those ae available to you on Newegg.ca. Reasons for those suggestions can be found in this article Tom's published a few days ago: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/psu-manufacturer-oem,2729.html

Also here is a link to a PSU calculator that will give you a good idea on how much power you system will require, just a tool to help easy your worries: http://www.antec.outervision.com/

With that said you could most likey run your system on a nice 500w-600w PSU, any higher will just give you extra headroom. Here is a good option I have found for you on Newegg.ca:

CORSAIR Builder Series CMPSU-600CX 600W (This would be my first choice)
CORSAIR Builder Series CMPSU-500CX 500W (Slightly cheaper, may not allow for future Crossfire)
Antec Basiq BP500U 500W (Quite a bit more savings)
SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W (520w but Almost close to 600w price)
Antec BP550 Plus 550W (Middle of the road)

If you are not planning on doing any other upgrades besides a future CPU, like running a crossfire setup(and even then this may be able to power it just fine), this will be more than sufficient topower your PC.

Hope that helps you out. :)

Solution

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
^Check out the first and second in the list of PSU's I linked to from Newegg.ca, they are both Corsairs.

CORSAIR Builder Series CMPSU-600CX 600W - $80 + $10 MIR
CORSAIR Builder Series CMPSU-500CX 500W - $70 + $10 MIR

david100k

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
thanks for your swift reply the only link that worked was the first one i also calculaded my power consumtion it seems im using about 500 watts

looking at the only link that worked the CORSAIR Builder Series 600 looks nice i might get it if i can't find a better one locally. The reason i want it locally is to pick it up on monday if not i can always get priority shipping :) using a laptop is no fun

Im going to post a few more i think i will go for a 650 plus just because of future proofing.

ANTEC TP-650 TRUE POWER 650W - ATX12V 2.3/ EPS12V 2.91 - AC 115/230 V 119.00
Antec TruePower New TP-650 - Power supply ( internal ) - ATX12V 2.3/ EPS12V 2.91 - AC 115/230 V - 650 Watt - active PFC - United States 106.43

Antec EarthWatts 750 - Power supply ( internal ) - ATX12V 2.3 - AC 100-240 V - 750 Watt - active PFC - United States 118.91

Antec TruePower Trio 650 - Power supply ( internal ) - ATX12V 2.2 - AC 100/240 V - 650 Watt - active PFC - European Union 86.83

david100k

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010

thanks but i have never heard of seasonic and that scares me the money i want to spend is not the issue i will not hold back on the components that powers almost 1000$ of equipment

You have never heard of seasonic????!!! corsairs are made by seasonic, along with a bunch of other psu makers. Corsair work with sasonic to design them and then they are manufactured by seasonic. If i were to name 1 brand as a top overall brand, it would be seasonic.

shovenose

Distinguished
the ocz died because its a mediocre psu-not because it didnt have enough wattage. you will be fine getting a top-quality 500+w power supply

if you wouid like help trying to fix the old one, head to the link in my signature, create and account (its free!), and see if you can magically resurrect your old one

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
[EDIT] I edited all the links, hopefully they will work for you now in that format.

[SECOND EDIT]I am sorry but they are still not working properly it seems, pop-up blocker or not, without doing the double click trick I listed below or you can just try to right click and use the open in new window . I really dont know why this is happening so if someone does please let me know as its starting to frustrate me ALOT. Anyhow I listed the model names on my original post so at least you can tell what I was linking you to.

Sorry the links are not working for you, as they do work for me. Sometimes pop-up blockers screw them up, one way I get around it is left click the link first then right click and use the open in new window, after that they usally work I do not really know why.

The Corsair Builder series was a step backwards for Corsair. Almost every quality PSU out there now is at least 80+ Bronze certified, and the Builder series isn't even 80+. Skip it for an Antec or Seasonic (or a higher model of Corsair, probably built for them by Seasonic).

People make the mistake of buying on brand name without realizing the fact that these guys are in business. And , as such, they pick what markets they wanna hit, some pick a few, some pick many. Antec for example makes many different lines of PSU's.

The Signature series could be called the SOTA or "state of the art" for what we are going to see in the consumer market. It's an expensive PSU built by a 3rd party for the very moist discerning consumers. The Basiq series OTOH, is "the budget special" geared to system builders (my guess is with short waranttes) and I wouldn't trust it to a $500 PC.

Most consumers, even enthusiasts, are well served by the Corsair TX series and Antec EA series (lower wattages) / TP series in higher wattages. These typically will garner around 9.0 performance rating on jonnyguru.com

After using the Antec PSU calculator, I would suggest that you visit jonnyguru with some choices and see how they measure up.

^Good advice; another site with a lot of reviews is HardwareSecrets. An interesting note about them: after they review something, they generally put it on eBay. I just snagged the X-560 Gabriel reviewed, yesterday evening for $71+shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.