Fred DM

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
i've recently upgraded the following system and have been using it in this configuration for 3 months:

- Asus P7P55D-E
- Intel Core i5 750 w/ Scythe Mugen 2
- 4GB DDR3 Corsair XMS3 1600MHz
- Sapphire Radeon 5870 Vapor-X
- 2x Samsung HDD (250GB & 1TB)
- Asus 18x DVD
- CoolerMaster HAF 32 Full Tower (4x Fan)
- Enermax Liberty 500W PSU

yesterday morning, out of nowhere, the PSU was fried. it must have happened the moment i switched power on. power went out for the entire room as a result, that's how i noticed it. i also noticed that the PSU can now no longer be switched off, the power switch cannot be set to '0' anymore.

now, i've been using that PSU for 4 years straight, but these PSUs are said to last some 100'000 to 120'000 hours...

i have no idea at all what caused the malfunction. i also don't know if it damaged any other components in the computer. i hope to god it didn't.

i'm picking up a new PSU (Corsair TX650W) tonight, but i'm kinda scared of plugging it in...

anybody ever have a PSU go out like that? did i just have a bad unit? should i be worried about the rest of the components?

Its very unpredictable if any damage occurred to your system. Enermax PSU's are fairly decent units so I would imagine that everything would be fine but, there is no telling for sure. I would make sure to check all the components in your system for blown caps or a burnt smell before plugging in a new unit.

Fred DM

Distinguished
May 19, 2010

thanks for the reply.

i've looked at the components and don't see any damage, no smell either. on the other hand, i'm no electrician. i see no burnt or melted parts.

i've also opened the PSU and can't see any superficial damage, either. it did, however, have a burnt smell.

Edit: i've bought and installed said PSU now and everything seems to be running fine. it really looks like no other components have been damaged, which is a great relief. i still wonder why the Enermax PSU was fried, though...