CPU:i 7-930 overclocked to 3.8GHz
RAM: Corsair XMS3 6GB DDR3 1600Mhz
GPU: (2x) EVGA 9800GTX+ 512MB
MOBO: EVGA X58 SLI LE
CPU COOLER: Corsair H50
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM
CASE: NZXT Tempest Evo
SOUND CARD: HT Omega Striker 7.1

1) Do you think it is worth it to upgrade to http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Technology-2-5-Inch-Industrys-Warranty/dp/B007R1FH3K/ref=dp_ob_title_ce with only 3GB/S connectors?

2) I'm also scared that some new technology will come out making 6GB/S outdated. Is anything coming soon?

swingman

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011

With technology, there is always something better coming...nature of the beast.

I'd definitely recommend getting an SSD..at least for the operating system drive. However, OCZ doesn't have a good reputation for quality. I got an OCZ drive when SSDs first starting coming out and it was DOA. Replacement has worked like a charm though but based on what I've read on forums, a lot of people have had issues with SSDs from OCZ.

I'd get one from Intel, Samsung, Crucial, or SanDisk. I was able to pick up a 128 GB Samsung 830 for $84.99 on newegg for my desktop and a 128 GB SanDisk Extreme SSD for $79.99 on amazon for my laptop. Just have to keep an eye out for the deals, which seem to come on a regular basis.

Razec69

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
Yes, You still have a good system even though its not the latest out now.

I have a similar gen build;

i7 960 @3.8ghz
12GB Patriot Viper Extreme
Radeon HD5970
256GB Crucial M4
1TB Seagate HDD
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum

On top of getting an SSD which will vastly improve your system I'd also recommend getting a better GPU, and you can easily have a nice solid build for the next 2-3 years.

I can still max out every game out there with no issues. With the exception of not enabling AA in some games, mainly BF3, I run very well with no lag usually 60+ FPS easily.

I ran a BF3 benchmark on Operation Metro my lowest was 57 FPS my highest was 190 and my average was 119.

On Operation Firestorm my lowest was 43 highest 185 and average was 80.

I load up games faster than all my friends.
I boot up to Windows 7 post password in about 25 seconds.

You will notice the difference believe me.

As my personal opinion as some will agree and disagree. I'd highly advise avoiding OCZ.

At a benchmark standpoint they are one of the fastest SSDs out there.

That doesn't make them the best in terms of quality and assurance.

I personally went with a Crucial M4 and this was after months of research, considerations, and price points.

Go with anything other than an OCZ just for peace of mind for yourself.

Razec69

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
Go with a Corsair Force series GT. The red SSD. Those are the faster of the Corsair SSD's.

And something you should know is try your best to go with a 256GB or bigger SSD.

The chip block sizes are bigger than that of a sub 256GB therefore making them faster and better.

Just look up some reviews and the likes on SSDs. There are some extensive articles about them now.

Even on this site they have very good info on them.

swingman

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011
120/128 GB SSDs seem plenty fast to me and in real world day to day performance I'd be surprised if he would notice a difference, especially since I think the sata 2 connector would be his bottleneck.

jbl, the one you linked is a good option if you don't want to wait for a sale. (review: http://thessdreview.com/our-reviews/corsair-force-series-3-120-gb-ssd-sata-3-review-pcmark-vantage-comparison-testing-and-final-thoughts/). In the past couple weeks, there have been comparable SSDs on sale for $10-20 less. The only caveat is not knowing when the next sale will be.

eddiesaunders

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
No matter what SSD you buy you will see a performance boost, the OCZ vertex 4 should do you just fine, once you have it installed have look for (or better still have a quick read before) "Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs" as a good guide to setting up your SSD.

If you can afford to buy an SSD that is larger than 120Gb it may be worth your while spending a little more.